Wtf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a "new" corny, and went to clean it, and it has an F'ing Plastic gas dip tube! Is this common? The other 7 kegs I have all have stainless.

Yeah, I have a few of them too. I was kind of surprised, but they work fine. If I ever have some free time, I might look into converting it to stainless.

fakeghostpirate said:
I have found a couple kegs with plastic gas dip tubes. You can toss them and the keg will still work fine.

Really? You've done this? The flange at the top pf the dip tube supports the prongs of the poppet valve, and compresses the o-ring. I'd be amazed if it sealed with out that flange.

I'm thinkin of drilling thorifice to fit a regular gas dip tube. I've noticed that it's not the entire hole that is too small. A normal tube fits for about the first half, and then it tapers down. I think I can bore it out. Anyone see any problems with this?

Obviously I need to make sure the finish hole is smooth as to prevent crevices for bacterial growth.

Sea said:
Really? You've done this? The flange at the top pf the dip tube supports the prongs of the poppet valve, and compresses the o-ring. I'd be amazed if it sealed with out that flange.

Yes. The plastic dip tubes are a smaller outer diameter than the stainless ones. That flange is less than 1/16th of an inch thick it doesn't really put much additional pressure on the spring. If your keg doesn't seal without the dip tube you could toss in a stainless washer, but mine work fine without anything.

Latest posts

Back