wtf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
so I brewed a belgian strong dark ale today, see related thread (i need some advice still), and I took a gravity reading of what was left in the mashtun after I hit my preboil volume after I ran the rest of it off into an empty milk jug, I ended up with 36 oz, of 1.044 wort, doesnt that seem a bit high for the end of the session? I used a single infusion, light body mash at 148 with a mashout at 170, and let beersmith do all the calculations. I set my BHE for this beer at 75% (i usually get around 84%) since it was such a big beer and hit it dead on for efficiency getting 5.5 gal of 1090 wort leaving out the 2 lbs of invert sugar for tomorrow afternoon. Let me know what you all think about this, seems like if the last of the runnings were at 1044 than there was alot of sugar left in the mashtun, or is this just how big beers go when doing all grain mashes, this is my first 1065+ all grain beer.... thanks guys

also help me out here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/diluting-invert-sugar-236260/

Seems pretty normal to me. 1.044 might be a little high but not out of the question.

That's why some people do partigyles on big beers like that.

Back