WTF is Up w/ Farve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The man retires. Green Bay finds a replacement. Then he wants his job back?

What am I missing? I like Farve but WTF.

If I quit my job and then came back a few months later and wanted my job they might say GFYS. I'd have to deal with the choice I made.

You know what I mean? :mad:

#1 Favre is certifiably insane
#2. You could cut off his arms and legs and he would still be the best torso in football!!

I didn't hear the whole interview on Fox but I hear talk about wearing a purple uniform so that means Vikings....

Oh yah, I think Mn contacted Farve and GB is pettitioning somebody in the NFL about it.... They are pissed the F--- Off about it now.

get_item_img_multi.php

Do I feel this coming on?

*****ebaggery is definately in the works. The guy IS a legend but he has hijacked this team for too long. I'm positive he can still play, but you just cant put a team through this over and over. He is taking a chance of going out like Montana did with the Cheifs. (and no even though I live in KC I am not a Cheifs fan. GO RAIDERS!!!)

I didn't hear the whole interview on Fox but I hear talk about wearing a purple uniform so that means Vikings....

Oh yah, I think Mn contacted Farve and GB is pettitioning somebody in the NFL about it.... They are pissed the F--- Off about it now.

Good luck with that. He loses twice as many games as he wins in a domed stadium, and chucks twice the interceptions as he does touchdowns.

It's a real shame that the Packers management is, as Favre says, telling him one thing and then telling him another. The guy should be able to announce his retirement in March and then tell the franchise to shelve their plans to move forward so he can come back in July. This all makes sense to me. What a jerk.

STFU= Shut the **** Up! ??? Just a guess :D I am on the fence about this. Favre has been my favorite player since probably 93 and I want him to play. However I don't think it is fair for Aaron Rogers to have to give up his new role now. I think they should let the man come back and hold an open competition for the job. We all know who gives the packers the best chance to get to the Super Bowl at this time.

They can't bring him back as anything other than the starter; it'd split the fan base, and more importantly the locker room. This is just Favre proving once again that he thinks he's bigger than the team. Not cool.

They can't bring him back as anything other than the starter; it'd split the fan base, and more importantly the locker room. This is just Favre proving once again that he thinks he's bigger than the team. Not cool.
And they can't release him outright, b/c they don;t want him to end up in MN or CHI. They can't really try to trade him either, b/c if they try to send him somewhere he doesn't want to go, he'll just play the retirement card again.

If they bring him back as the starter, they almost certainly lose Rogers when he becomes a free agent after '09 (would you stay?)

To me, the best solution (and it's not a good one) is to bring him back as the starter, and try to trade Rogers so at least they get something for him. Rogers is still a huge unknown at this point, and if you can get 1 (or 2, or 3?) years of Pro-Bowl level quarterbacking from Favre and end this whole mess in the least disruptive way possible, it's probably worth the loss.

But I wonder how much the team will really be behind Favre after all of this...his actions have more or less said "what I want is more important than the team" at this point.

But I wonder how much the team will really be behind Favre after all of this...his actions have more or less said "what I want is more important than the team" at this point.

You know, I can't think of another QB in the league who would have pulled this crap, certainly none of the other elite guys like Manning and Brady. Trade him somewhere like Miami for a conditional draft pick; if he plays, they get something like a third rounder, if he doesn't, a seventh.

This is really getting old, but at least the media isn't fawning over him anymore; more and more people are calling out his BS, and there was even a pretty good article on ESPN not too long ago that looked at the totality of his performance since the Super Bowl win; not as impressive as you might think.

It would be really nice if he'd go away now. I think one tear-filled retirement ceremony is enough.
I get the impression from him that he would have always preferred to play for some other team anyway.

I think that the Packers should trade him to the Redskins. Now *that* would tarnish a man's legacy. discuss... :D

I think that the Packers should trade him to the Redskins. Now *that* would tarnish a man's legacy. discuss... :D

That would be hilarious to put Favre in the revolving-door conga line that is the Redskins Starting QB Position. He could back up Campbell, then Campbell would struggle a couple games in and Zorn would rotate in Favre, who would do okay but then have one really bad game-losing pass, after which, to punish Favre, they would put in Collins, who would put up a pro-bowl performance, but would be replaced anyway by some washed up veteran with "leadership skills" who Snyder traded away 3 young franchise players to get, even though he's retiring in 2 years, and meanwhile, Campbell gets traded away to one of our division rivals where he proceeds to become a hall of famer.

Yah, bring on the Favre! :p

Is Dude online anymore? I'm curious what he thinks about him now.

If the guy wants to play, then play. But stop all of this drama BS.

Oh, and Riclark, Favre was more exciting to watch than Barry?

EDIT: you said 'favorite player' not more exciting and if I remember right, you're a Packers fan--so it makes sense.

That would be hilarious to put Favre in the revolving-door conga line that is the Redskins Starting QB Position. He could back up Campbell, then Campbell would struggle a couple games in and Zorn would rotate in Favre, who would do okay but then have one really bad game-losing pass, after which, to punish Favre, they would put in Collins, who would put up a pro-bowl performance, but would be replaced anyway by some washed up veteran with "leadership skills" who Snyder traded away 3 young franchise players to get, even though he's retiring in 2 years, and meanwhile, Campbell gets traded away to one of our division rivals where he proceeds to become a hall of famer.

Yah, bring on the Favre! :p

Couldn't have said it better myself!

You know, I can't think of another QB in the league who would have pulled this crap, certainly none of the other elite guys like Manning and Brady.

Manning is not elite, either one of them..."and you know this, maaaaaaannnnn" Tom would be very upset right now if he heard you say that

Yea, Favre really needs to learn how to make a decision and stick with it. He really isn't handling the situation very well at all. I especially don't like the fact that he is trying to get released after having such a great career with the Packers....and I'm even a Favre fan or a Packers fan.

Who let John Madden in here?

It would sound something like this if that were Madden:

"Ugh, well, you know, see the thing is that when he throws the, uhhhh, ball, in the game, well, ahh, sometimes"

Al steps in and says:

"#1 Favre is certifiably insane
#2. You could cut off his arms and legs and he would still be the best torso in football!!"

If Madden were here, we'd be hearing a lot more slurping and moaning going on. I told my wife that there was a rumor John Madden got an erection that day; she replied, "What, is Brett Favre coming back?"

If Madden were here, we'd be hearing a lot more slurping and moaning going on. I told my wife that there was a rumor John Madden got an erection that day; she replied, "What, is Brett Favre coming back?"

way better than my take on Madden, kudos!

... I think they should let the man come back and hold an open competition for the job. We all know who gives the packers the best chance to get to the Super Bowl at this time.

This seems to be the best thing to me as well. They said he can come back as a backup but that's childish BS from the front office as well. It should be a best man gets the job thing. Its a win now league so WTF? It'd give the pre-season games a real show :).

GB front office has him by the nads. He's under contract and they're not going to release him to the open market so he ain't wearing no purple this season. They could do a save face trade and let him go somewhere else if they want to respect his desire to play but it'd be a taker in the AFC or "maybe" someone in the NFC but not in the central. But, Mr Missippi doesn't want to be out of control with a trade :rolleyes:.

Who knows what really happened behind close-doors but being a manager myself I'd start to get real sick and tired of some employee I count on hanging the "I'm going to retire" in my face each year come budget time.

The problem with just making it an open competition is that they've designed a very different offense for Rogers than what they ran for Favre, so it pretty much throws out everything that they've been working on. There's also the element of Farve helping them win a few more games this year, but then "retiring" again next year and they're in a worse spot (with Rogers either walking or at least having one less years' worth of experience). The impression that I've gotten has been that Favre hasn't exactly been all that supportive of Rogers' development, either.

I'm not sure what Green Bay could have or should have done differently.

The impression that I've gotten has been that Favre hasn't exactly been all that supportive of Rogers' development, either.
I wouldn't have either, if I was debating if I was going to retire or not and to have to compete for your job.

I'm not sure what Green Bay could have or should have done differently.
They did what they had to do with the information they had. You can not fault GB for this. It's unfortunate for Farve, but the one thing he has is the fan base because he is so popular. It's mob mentality at this point.

GB is in a no win situation either way.

I wouldn't have either, if I was debating if I was going to retire or not and to have to compete for your job.

It's a pretty well-established tradition within sports to make sure the guy behind you is as well-prepared as possible, even if it ultimately hurts your own position on the squad. From every account, Drew Bledsoe was incredibly supportive and helpful to Brady, both before and after Drew got hurt. That's how sports are supposed to work - different than IRL - what's best for the team is more important than what's best for the individual.

Favre's just showing his true stripes, right now. If you wanted to play, if you felt pressures to retire in the spring, say something then, get traded in the offseason, rather than make a spectacle of yourself now.

It's not all about you, Brett.... :rolleyes:

It's a pretty well-established tradition within sports to make sure the guy behind you is as well-prepared as possible, even if it ultimately hurts your own position on the squad.

Although I agree with you, I've lost respect for a ton of players because I feel that they don't have that attitude. I always assume that all professional athletes only think about the $$.

I've made a mistake assuming everyone thinks that way. I agree with you though.

I guess I'm just bummed because I thought Brett was too classy for this.

SWMBO was bitching; "Honey, I want a new yaht! - Get your ass back to work! I can't ride my ATV past the bar, it keeps getting stuck between the jacuzzi and keezer." :D

She's hot, she can ***** about whatever she wants

I guess I'm just bummed because I thought Brett was too classy for this.

I might have agreed with you at one point, but Favre's overly dramatic, "Should I stay or should I go? Do you love me? How much?" act has been in full force for several years. The media's fawned over him so much and for so long...

Back