• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB or trade - Ginger Beer Plant. I am in NJ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know how familiar you are with Ginger Beer Plant(DSMZ Strain 2472)
, but don't fall for a "plant" made of traditonal yeast and ginger! Check out www.gingerbeerplant.net or www.yemoos.com. I have read many, many articles about the GBP from gingerbeerplant.net and that is has been authenticated. Best of luck to you. I may have to check into getting GBP for myself!!! :mug:

Don't know how familiar you are with Ginger Beer Plant(DSMZ Strain 2472)
, but don't fall for a "plant" made of traditonal yeast and ginger! Check out www.gingerbeerplant.net or www.yemoos.com. I have read many, many articles about the GBP from gingerbeerplant.net and that is has been authenticated. Best of luck to you. I may have to check into getting GBP for myself!!! :mug:

Thanks, I did some research. I did realize that anything that says yeast is not what I want. I saw some of your posts on an instructable I found yesterday.

I ended up ordering GBP from this site in london. http://www.retro-culture.com/ I saw someone on HBT who ordered from them and was happy. A bit pricey but I figure someone will want some along the line.

If that person from instructable ever responds I will let you know. Keep me posted with your retro culture as we discussed. I do know that the tibocos or water kefir grains will multiple even with the first fermentation and the GBP grains are very very slow growing. So that may be a good indicator. I will know when I see them. Thanks again!! :)

A true GBP is added to certain ingredients like water, sugar, ginger, etc and allowed to ferment, then bottled. A sweet, spicy, fizzy bottle of goodness. The use of GBP is similar to that of kefir grains or kombucha mother. You can research and you will find many, many GBP recipes/products that mention adding yeast--those are not real ginger beer plants. As the "plant" is used over and over it will reproduce (like kefir/kombucha), as it is a living organism, and you can give part of it away to your friends, and they too can make their own ginger beer. Depending on how long you allow it to ferment, you will have an ABV. True plants are hard to find & I have spoken with Jim at www.gingerbeerplant.net, and his is the real deal. You can visit his website (in UK) to order his plant, he will appreciate your interest. **not affiliated in any way with any GBP vendor**

OK, this has me intrigued and I am too tired to research.

That is a cardinal sin on this website!

A true GBP is added to certain ingredients like water, sugar, ginger, etc and allowed to ferment, then bottled. A sweet, spicy, fizzy bottle of goodness. The use of GBP is similar to that of kefir grains or kombucha mother. You can research and you will find many, many GBP recipes/products that mention adding yeast--those are not real ginger beer plants. As the "plant" is used over and over it will reproduce (like kefir/kombucha), as it is a living organism, and you can give part of it away to your friends, and they too can make their own ginger beer. Depending on how long you allow it to ferment, you will have an ABV. True plants are hard to find & I have spoken with Jim at www.gingerbeerplant.net, and his is the real deal. You can visit his website (in UK) to order his plant, he will appreciate your interest. **not affiliated in any way with any GBP vendor**

It seems you are the most knowledgable about this subject saramc. Thanks for all the input. WELCOME TO HOMEBREWTALK

That is a cardinal sin on this website!

I know this is taboo and usually I try to research my question before posting, but in reading this thread it seemed that a) there was a lot of misinformation out there and b) you knew what you were talking about. That and I had a very long week at work, so I opted for the less desirable approach.

This sounds pretty cool though so I appreciate the information.

I know this is taboo and usually I try to research my question before posting, but in reading this thread it seemed that a) there was a lot of misinformation out there and b) you knew what you were talking about. That and I had a very long week at work, so I opted for the less desirable approach.

This sounds pretty cool though so I appreciate the information.

I was just breakin your balls! I would have asked too.

I am new to it as well.. found out about it a month or so ago and decided to try to hunt some GBP down. I ordered some.. I will let you know results.

If it works post back here. I would be interested too. I'm in ny. If your plant ever gets big enough I would be interested in a peice to grow.

10-4.

From what I understand... If it is the real deal.. it grows very slowly.. not like brewers yeast.

I will post back with results.. I will probably start a new thread

FYI: rtt121 is going to send me a pic of the plant he is getting. I have checked in with the vendor that he bought it from and determined it a from the Nightingale strain, which based on what I have found thus far it is not the true GBP, but close. I did find photos of their plant and the grain has a lot of angles to it and reproduces pretty quickly--- the first clues that it is not the old, real GBP. Not saying that you cannot produce a decent ginger beer-style beverage with it. It would seem that the Nightingale strain is an engineered hybrid. BUT DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT, as I still am researching it. I have agreed to send rtt121 part of my plant--it is coming by way of a plant via gingerbeerplant.net (have friends who also use that plant). And when we say "plant" we don't mean a living green thing that grows with sunlight, a GBP looks like sand, similar to lees from winemaking. (good photo & overview of GBP at http://www.yemoos.com/gingerbeerproductpage.html).
I too will keep you posted, anxiously awaiting the arrival of my plant!!! rtt121 don't forget me!!!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around brewing. I can't start down this ginger plant road. This sounds crazy....

FYI: rtt121 is going to send me a pic of the plant he is getting. I have checked in with the vendor that he bought it from and determined it a from the Nightingale strain, which based on what I have found thus far it is not the true GBP, but close. I did find photos of their plant and the grain has a lot of angles to it and reproduces pretty quickly--- the first clues that it is not the old, real GBP. Not saying that you cannot produce a decent ginger beer-style beverage with it. It would seem that the Nightingale strain is an engineered hybrid. BUT DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT, as I still am researching it. I have agreed to send rtt121 part of my plant--it is coming by way of a plant via gingerbeerplant.net (have friends who also use that plant). And when we say "plant" we don't mean a living green thing that grows with sunlight, a GBP looks like sand, similar to lees from winemaking. (good photo & overview of GBP at http://www.yemoos.com/gingerbeerproductpage.html).
I too will keep you posted, anxiously awaiting the arrival of my plant!!! rtt121 don't forget me!!!

I will not. I got a message...mine should arrive probably mid next week

My plant came in and I can assure you, it is NOT a sugary kefir grain (aka water kefir or tibicos)...after just 2 ferments it has already increased in size by 100%. I have completed comparison fermentations using my water kefir grains vs the GBP....used all natural apple juice(aka Scrumpy) and also made a raspberry-peach tea sweetened with sugar to taste...my family likes the GBP fermentation over the water kefir. (not to mention the ginger beer is delicious). So, I would definitely recommend purchasing from Jim at GingerBeerPlant.net Happy Home Fermentation!!

Update....never heard from rtt121 so I could check out the retro-culture offering of their GBP. But, for those in the US if you are seeking THE REAL GINGER BEER PLANT, http://www.yemoos.com/gingerbeerproductpage.html, is the only place I am aware of that has the real GBP. Other than that, your option is from THE SOURCE in the UK, Jim at www.gingerbeerplant.net You may find other companies advertising it, but I would be cautious because they could be selling you a yeast-fed "plant" or a kefir grain hybrid...not the true GBP of olden days.
My GBP has since been destroyed thanks to the DH who thought he was being helpful by cleaning out my fermentation cabinet. I will eventually get another GBP, but for now I mimic it with water kefir grains, but do miss my GBP.

saramc - Just wanted to thank you for the great information. It looks like yemoos is out of stock right now, but I hope to buy some soon.

I'm looking forward to making some good Dark & Stormies with this stuff!

saramc - Just wanted to thank you for the great information. It looks like yemoos is out of stock right now, but I hope to buy some soon.

I'm looking forward to making some good Dark & Stormies with this stuff!

My pleasure! I just want to do my best to make sure that people learn what real honest to goodness GBP is, and to not get taken with a hybrid or faux GBP. Yes, you can create a "ginger beer" using yeast/ginger/sugar/lemon or using water kefir grains (have so many we eat them!) and they are tasty beverages, but to taste what the age-old GBP will make...there is nothing like it.

Back