• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB 20# Co2 tank in Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just looking for an aluminum 20-pounder with valid hydro date. Amazon has shiny new ones for ~$120 shipped, I'm just looking for a serviceable tank I can exchange when refilling.

I have a spare out-of-date 20# steel tank. In 2017 American Gasses in Gurnee (Waukegan), charged me $12.50 re-certification fee in 2017 and $20 for the swap. Let me know if you are interested.

Hopefully you've found one but I've bought 2 in the $80 range, shipped, on eBay in recent weeks which I promptly swapped for full ones at my local gas supplier for $20--half the total cost of getting one from the local gas suppliers.

Hey sorry I haven't checked back sooner, I found one locally (for free!) with a bonus old taprite regulator attached. The tank itself was 23 years out of date but I was able to swap it out no problem just had to pay a $15 recert fee to get it into the exchange program at my LHBS. The full tank they gave me is identical to the one I turned in and was even manufactured in the same year (1980), though it carries a very recent hydro stamp. I've ordered a rebuild kit for the old regulator and will keep it as a backup or maybe pick up a 5 pound tank for portability.

Hey sorry I haven't checked back sooner, I found one locally (for free!) with a bonus old taprite regulator attached. The tank itself was 23 years out of date but I was able to swap it out no problem just had to pay a $15 recert fee to get it into the exchange program at my LHBS. The full tank they gave me is identical to the one I turned in and was even manufactured in the same year (1980), though it carries a very recent hydro stamp. I've ordered a rebuild kit for the old regulator and will keep it as a backup or maybe pick up a 5 pound tank for portability.

What did they charge you for the fill besides the re-certification fee?

Free + $15 is a really good deal. Around here on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace people want $100 for out of date 20lb tanks (half of which say "Coke" or "Pepsi" and might not be exchangeable from what I've read) and I believe the recertification fee is $30 at the local gas supplier. The gas itself is $20. Its $200 out the door to buy a full tank so I was happy to end up at $100 total.

Latest posts

Back