• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB 10 gal corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I'm interested in using it as a fermenter, and the torpedo kegs are very short and wide relative to the older 10gal corny kegs - I'm concerned that it will be too difficult to get all of the beer out and that it won't fit into my fermentation chamber without modification.

Thanks. I'm interested in using it as a fermenter, and the torpedo kegs are very short and wide relative to the older 10gal corny kegs - I'm concerned that it will be too difficult to get all of the beer out and that it won't fit into my fermentation chamber without modification.

Ought to be able to use a floating dip tube to handle it?

Are you doing 10g batches? Anvil fermenter is what? 7.5g?

Brew buckets and spike flex are as well if you just do 5g.

Those 10g cornies are sweet, but expensive when I looked into them.

I want to be able to ferment under pressure and spund. To my knowledge, none of the brew buckets can do this.
The only stainless fermenters that I've seriously considered are the SS unitank and the spike flex+ but by the time you add all of the 'options', they both end up costing a grand. A 10 gal corny has the headspace to avoid blowoff, can ferment under pressure, can spund, and could be used to crash cool under pressure with no oxygen ingress. Aside from the inability to dump yeast, I see no downside relative to the other SS tanks which cost a LOT more.

Just a word of encouragement, @maxr. I use a 10 gallon corny as a fermentor. I have a modified "carbonation lid" with a liquid post on it. That takes a CBDS floating dip tube for sampling and for racking to keg for spunding, which could also be done after spunding in the 10 gallon. The standard equipment spear serves to "dump" yeast. So I have all the functionality of a unitank, rated to 130psig, lighter weight and easy handling with two handles and a flat bottom, easily fits in a fridge, no complicated valves and such to disassemble and clean and sanitize.... Love it. And I'm into it for well under $400, all elements brand new. Good luck.

Just a word of encouragement, @maxr. I use a 10 gallon corny as a fermentor. I have a modified "carbonation lid" with a liquid post on it. That takes a CBDS floating dip tube for sampling and for racking to keg for spunding, which could also be done after spunding in the 10 gallon. The standard equipment spear serves to "dump" yeast. So I have all the functionality of a unitank, rated to 130psig, lighter weight and easy handling with two handles and a flat bottom, easily fits in a fridge, no complicated valves and such to disassemble and clean and sanitize.... Love it. And I'm into it for well under $400, all elements brand new. Good luck.

Thanks Rob! This basically reaffirms the conclusion that I'd come to after a lot of thinking on the ideal fermentation vessel.

I’m in the same boat as you. Can’t fit the fancy new fermentors in my chest freezer either(5cuft). I randomly jumped on FB market and a local Denver business was selling two of them used but in mint condition for $250 each. I got it for $220. I always have to have a blow off and other fermenters aren’t worth the price for the sizes available. Super happy I got lucky finding one.

IMG_6324.JPG

Back