Wrong Recipes in Kit/ My Fault or get refund?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucknutbrew

Reaction score
I purchased a belgian wit kit from Grape and Granary. I followed the instructions and did some research after the fact (that is definitely my mistake). I wrote all of the details in my recipe log and was curious as to what my brew would taste most like, more like a Blue Moon or Hoegaarden. When I started reading I noticed that none of the recipes called for 2 oz of coriander seed (which was uncrushed and I left that way) or 2 oz of Orange Peel, Bitter- Curacao (not sure what this is). I sent G&G an email and they said that the kit should have 1 oz of crushed coriander and 1 oz of orange peel.

I am guessing that this beer will be pretty funky.
A. Can it be fixed?
B. Do I have the right to request another kit?

I would say that the reason that I purchase the kit is because I am not yet comfortable with compiling all of the ingredients myself. My first thought was that the 2 oz of uncrushed corriander may be equivalent to 1 oz of crushed, but I was wrong.

Here is my original email before I brewed and someone did respond and say that it was a solid recipe.

I just went ot my hometown brewshop (Grape and Granary) and purchased their Belgian Wit Recipe. How dow you think that this recipe will turn out?
I plan on starting at about 9pm EST.

The kit was $27 and includes:
1 Nottingham yeast (will not use); purchased liquid 3944
1 3.3lb Briess Pilsen extra light LME
1 3lb bag of 60% wheat/40% barley DME
little bag of bittering hops (undisclosed)
Orange peel, bitter 2-oz curacao
2oz corriander seed

anticipated sg 1.051
IBU-16
45minute boil

1. boil 2 gallons of wter
2. turn off heat; add dme, lme, bittering hops (not in a bag)
3. bring to boil for 45 minutes
4. 15 minutes add Irish Moss
5. 10 minutes add spices

I plan on leaving in the primary for 2-3 weeks and then bottling

Any feedback would be appreciated. This is my second batch of beer. First was an American Brown Ale from Morebeer that turned out great, after I waited a month before drinking.

What Belgian will this be closest to?

I may have to call and find out what hops they use in their recipe.

It should be fine. It's still a wit. You could always assemble a new batch of ingredients, not use the peel or coriander at all, and blend the two together when they're fully fermented...if you wouldn't mind having 10 gallons of the stuff.

The coriander was probably intended to be crushed. I'd think that the 2 oz uncrushed actually contributed a bit less flavor than the 1 oz crushed. At the very least, you are not going to have an overwhelming coriander flavor to your brew. The extra orange peel isn't that big of a deal either. The beer will be tasty, but I would still bring to their attention that their instructions were a bit lacking. They may give you something for your trouble or free shipping or something. You never know.

Thanks All. I brought it to their attention and they sent me another kit with another liquid yeast (all within 24 hours). I already have the kit in hand. I did not make a big deal about it, but told them what was in the kit and asked how/if I could salvage the batch. They said to let it sit for a couple of months and it will mellow out. They apologized for the error and sent me a replacement.

I thought this was really cool of them and that $30 free kit will earn them a lot more from me in the future.

Even the pros can go over-board. GVB had a Belgian that was way over the top with corriander. Mark took it off the taps and waited 6 weeks before putting it back. It was great! (and I generally don't like Belgians)

Latest posts

Back