Wrong hop ... how to salvage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmurf

Reaction score
I brewed a "märzen" kind of beer earlier this morning... wrong season but I don't mind :) Anyway, somethin just occurred to me and I checked my notes and my recipe, and yes... for some reason I wasn't fully paying attention to my recipe. Instead of 60 minute addition 6 grams Hallertauer Magnum (it's a 11 liter batch... 3 gallon I think?) I used Hallertauer Mittelfruh, that is, instead of 15 IBU I got 5 IBU. The calculated total IBU is now 11, a BU/GU-ratio of 0.19.

Is there anything I can do to fix this now (=make it more bitter) or should I just let it be? Any advice or thoughts?

I'd let it ride in the fermenter and make an infusion of Hallertauer Mittelfruh in vodka and add to the bottling bucket. Try varying amounts in samples before you (a) prime for bottling/kegging or (b) force carbonating if that's your preference.

The math to calculate the appropriate amount is beyond me, but I'd start with 1/2 oz in 3 oz of vodka steeped for a week. Add with an eyedropper to an 8-oz sample for testing.

Another option -- make some Mittelfruh tea with long-boiled water and add in the same method just before bottling -- the tea won't affect the alcohol content and would be more in line with the reinheitsgebot.

But try it before you doctor it. Who knows? You might like it just as it is.

Latest posts

Back