Wrigley's DoubleMint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, go figure. I think Aspartame tastes pretty horrible. I hadn't had the gum in years and picked up a pack (to the tune of like $1.50 something for the big one....my how times have changed) and it tasted a little weird. So I was looking at the ingredients and was like "Uh, what the?!?!".

I don't like aspartame because it tastes like dog poo wrapped in powdered sugar and boiled in sugar to make cotton dog poo candy.

If you're an anti-aspertame person because of the health issues then write them and don't buy their products...as consumers that's all the power we have...we control the dollars they want...:D

Well, that's how I found out they changed it in 2002. They now only have 2 gums that are (gasp) regular (ungasp) sugar.

"Thank you for contacting the Wrigley Company to comment on your experience with Doublemint® Gum. We are always happy to hear from our consumers and truly value your feedback. By receiving input from consumers like you, we are able to constantly make improvements and ensure that we are always providing our consumers with the highest quality products.

Over the years our products have changed packaging as well as formulations in order to best fit the needs of our consumers. We are sorry you did not find the new product to your liking and hope you will continue to enjoy our brands in the future. As always, we are committed to producing quality products and listening to the voice of our consumers. We will certainly pass your comments along to everyone involved in this change. Aspartame was added to the Doublemint gum as well as our other sugar gums around 2002 as a flavor enhancer, at this time we have two gums without artificial sweeteners which are Freedent Winterfresh and Hubba Bubba Glop.

Again, we are sorry you had this experience and thank you for reaching out to us. If you have any additional questions or comments please feel free to contact us at 1-800-WRIGLEY Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST.

Sincerely,

Anie Jones
Consumer Affairs Representative
"

"at this time we have two gums without artificial sweeteners which are Freedent Winterfresh and Hubba Bubba Glop."

Seriously? Hubba Bubba Glop is the name of a gum?

I can see the product developers and marketers huddled in a conference room:

#1: "Here, stick 5 pieces of this in your mouth, and then try to talk"
#2: OK (chews for a minute, then tries to talk)..."hrbala brbla glrp"
#1: "what'd he say?"
#3: "I think it was 'hubba bubba glop'"
#1: "Great! That's what we'll call it, then!"

Back