Wrenches for removing ball lock posts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r4dyce

Reaction score
Hi there. The little guide sheet that came with my keg recommended NOT using a standard crescent wrench for removing the in and out posts. Apparently this is do to risk of stripping the threads.
Question: Would a pass through style ratcheting wrench be appropriate or do I really need to get a deep socket wrench?

Hi there. The little guide sheet that came with my keg recommended NOT using a standard crescent wrench for removing the in and out posts. Apparently this is do to risk of stripping the threads.
Question: Would a pass through style ratcheting wrench be appropriate or do I really need to get a deep socket wrench?

That is a perfect choice. On ball lock kegs you will either have 11/16" hexes on the posts (new kegs) or 7/8" hexes (most older Cornelius or Firestone kegs). Or you could have one of each (usually refurbished kegs)

This wrench, from Sears, is perfect for ALL ball lock kegs. I have 7 kegs with one size post, and 3 with a smaller size. This wrench handles both of them. Sears (my store had it sitting on a shelf, but you can buy online). (thanks EdWort!)

Craftsman 11/16 x 7/8 in. Wrench, Ratcheting Box-End
| Sears Item# 00942165000 | Model# 42165

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-11-16-x-7-8-in-wrench-ratcheting-box/p-00942165000P

upload_2018-1-2_18-2-55.png

This wrench, from Sears, is perfect for ALL ball lock kegs. I have 7 kegs with one size post, and 3 with a smaller size. This wrench handles both of them. Sears (my store had it sitting on a shelf, but you can buy online). (thanks EdWort!)

Craftsman 11/16 x 7/8 in. Wrench, Ratcheting Box-End
| Sears Item# 00942165000 | Model# 42165

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-11-16-x-7-8-in-wrench-ratcheting-box/p-00942165000P

View attachment 552166

That is exactly the one!

Back