Wrapping regulator threads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Notice some use teflon tape on regulator threads and some do not use it.

I know why do use in plumbing, but why don't some regulators use it?

I ask as I'm getting ready to replace the existing barb on a new oxygen regulator with a smaller barb. Should I wrap the threads with teflon tape?

Thanks.

Well...depends on what you're calling "regulator threads".

Anything that actually threads into the body of a regulator needs sealant - tape or liquid, dealer's choice.
Otoh, there's usually nothing at the other ends of things that thread into the body that should need sealant (unless it's a connection to another regulator body).

Ie:

reg_sealant_points.jpg

Cheers!

Well...depends on what you're calling "regulator threads".

Anything that actually threads into the body of a regulator needs sealant - tape or liquid, dealer's choice.
Otoh, there's usually nothing at the other ends of things that thread into the body that should need sealant (unless it's a connection to another regulator body).

Ie:

View attachment 605254

Cheers!

The output one from the regular to the check valve. I see in the diagram (thanks), it is wrapped. I will do the same.

As I see it, metal to metal needs sealing tape, unless there is a sealing (silicone) o-ring present

As I see it, metal to metal needs sealing tape, unless there is a sealing (silicone) o-ring present

Metal to metal NPT threads need it. Flare (when stainless is involved) uses a hard conical nylon gasket. The connection to the tank valve is a face sealing fitting so either a captured oring or some other kind of seal is installed between the tailpiece and tank (no thread tape).

As stated its not needed nor is it ideal for certain areas like the threads of the co2 tank. They are not npt threads and will not be damaged unless you cross thread them. the tape can actually often interfere with the operation of such fitting like flare fittings and is not usually a good idea.

Back