Wow! What was that brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovebrew

Reaction score
I recieved a homebrew from a friend and want to know what it was, the friend was not the brewer and has no clue (they were given the brew by their ex boss and were scared to try it). At any rate it was by far the best brew i have ever tasted, a discription follows.

Upon opening it the aroma was a mixture of caramel and almost smokey.
The head was thick very close tiny bubbles that did not imedeatly disperse.
It was sweet on initial impact (Dr. Pepper sweet.) I suspect very little bittering hops were used.
It had a very thick feel, but also very smooth.
It transitioned into a plethora of roasted caramely flavors, with almost a fruity undertone (each flavor seemed to follow the other).
The after taste was wonderful almost like the beer never left my mouth.
The buzz obtained was equivilant to 2-3 beers from a store.

Any help in identifying the style of brew would be GREATLY appreciated. A recipe or place that i might find one would be even more appreciated.

Can they ask the boss?

The light smoke flavors could be a Scotch Ale, but seriously you need to go back to the source.

I recieved a homebrew from a friend and want to know what it was, the friend was not the brewer and has no clue (they were given the brew by their ex boss and were scared to try it). At any rate it was by far the best brew i have ever tasted, a discription follows.

Upon opening it the aroma was a mixture of caramel and almost smokey.
The head was thick very close tiny bubbles that did not imedeatly disperse.
It was sweet on initial impact (Dr. Pepper sweet.) I suspect very little bittering hops were used.
It had a very thick feel, but also very smooth.
It transitioned into a plethora of roasted caramely flavors, with almost a fruity undertone (each flavor seemed to follow the other).
The after taste was wonderful almost like the beer never left my mouth.
The buzz obtained was equivilant to 2-3 beers from a store.

Any help in identifying the style of brew would be GREATLY appreciated. A recipe or place that i might find one would be even more appreciated.

Sounds like a wee heavy but the lingering (cloying) aftertaste and the Dr. Pepper comment make me think it was under attenuated. That leads me to a funky Dubbel with the caramel sweet comments and the fruity undertone. Roasted caramel sounds like Special B to me with the fruity comment.

Color was almost black, brown with sun on other side barely got light through average bar glass. Tried to convince friend to give me the name of their ex boss but they wouldnt (said it would be to embarrasing, Dangit :( )

I'm thinking a belgian strong dark.

You should go buy a Belhaven Wee Heavy, a Roquefort 10, and a imperial stout, say a Sam Smith or North Coast Old Rasputin and try to decide what it most resembled. And prolly be pretty s@!t-faced afterwards. :drunk:

Thank you guys for your quick and informative responses. I believe I will head to Nacogdoches and see if they have any of the suggestions here on hand this weekend, I must find and replicate this brew, it truly is the best i have ever had and leaves everything else lacking.

Thank you guys for your quick and informative responses. I believe I will head to Nacogdoches and see if they have any of the suggestions here on hand this weekend, I must find and replicate this brew, it truly is the best i have ever had and leaves everything else lacking.

Could you tell what the yeast profile was like? I mean you should be able to discern Belgian vs. not...

Back