Wow! These things grow fast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
I planted three rhizomes this past Monday, a golding, a northern brewer and a centennial. Checking on the bed today, I noticed the golding and northern brewer were already popping out the ground! And I put them down pretty deep, probably 4-6 inches! At this rate, they'll be over the top of the twine I rigged up in no time.:ban: Hopefully, I'll get enough cones this year to make a beer.

Yup, they grow like weeds. Oh yeah, they are weeds!

I got enough hops out my two first year Centennials to make a batch. They second year they produced more than a pound. I'm expecting 3-4 pounds in this, the third year. There are a couple dozen purple sprouts peeking out of the ground just waiting for the weather to warm.

Tom

My 4th year plants are just breaking ground. It's been cold and dark this Spring. Most years there's a sunny period in February, but not this year. So, the ground is very cold and it's saturated. Frost the last three days doesn't help.

Dunno if this is the usual, but my two hop plants from last year--Chinook and Nugget--sprouted later than my new rhizomes just received a month or less ago--and, curiously, the older plants sprouted later and are growing much more slowly than the new ones, but older ones have more numerous shoots.

As I say, I have no idea if it is natural for the established plants to get off to a slower start compared to the new rhizomes or not, and if so, for what reason.

I can attest to how they like the sun. I planted 4 of mine where they will get the maximum amount of sun. They sprouted in 5 days, I then dug them up :( because I read that it is more beneficial to plant them horizontal and the popped back in in another 5 days.

I have 3 cascades in a different part of the yard that doesn't get nearly as much sun. I did not dig them up when I did the other and none of them have sprouted yet.

With this in mind should I plant some shade loving hops in this location by switching with the others.

Here is what I have Perle, chinook, centenial, magnum, wilammette and cascades.

OH i got a good one, ready for it?: "Unpredictable Nature, is Unpredictable!" :D
hehehe

I say the same thing when I watch Animal Planet, and I see a crazy wild Bear, "Angry bear, Is angry" lol Oh i slay me :D

I also have something starting to break through the soil, and I don't think it's zombiez! In fact, i took a little dirt off the top, because when I watered them, the soil compacted over them and pushed them down a little every time.

Back