WOW...no idea how i just managed to do this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deutscherbrew

Reaction score
Edit: After calming down from the shock of my stupidity...I realized I never searched this topic and just noticed someone did the same thing earlier this week. So ignore this unless there are other suggestions you can add in. Especially on the second post about the diacetyl rest. I'm assuming do it and toss the secondary in the fridge tomorrow?

Yea, so don't ask me how I managed to do this but....

I brewed a Bavarian Doppelbock. I have had it in my primary at around 50 degrees for the past two weeks and was SUPPOSED to do a diacetyl rest and then rack over to my secondary tomorrow where I was going to toss it in the fridge at around 40 degrees for at least 6-9 months...maybe a year. This is what I did...

I added my priming sugar to my bottling bucket....added my primary to that...put this into my secondary and tossed it in the fridge. Now I don't know why I added the priming sugar and put it in my bottling bucket like I was going to bottle my beer...but i did...

What do I do now? Pretend like I never added the sugar and just keep going with my secondary for the next few months and then added priming sugar again and bottle?

This also means I didn't do a diacetyl rest. If I keep going like nothing happend...do I let my secondary sit out at RT for 24 hours and then toss it back in the fridge?

Put it out. Try and roust the yeast and let it ferment the sugar totally. Diacetyl rest until there are no buttered popcorn taste. Then try lagering again. The type of bucket shouldn't matter unless you need your bottling bucket over the next several months (probably). So let ferment and rack again.

It will be fine. All you did is add a little sugar. Many beers add sugar during fermentation. I would warm it up and let the yeast eat the sugar and do your d-rest. Many people believe that you don't have to do a d-rest. I do with all my Lagers. I am sure that your beer will come out fine.

Back