Wow Malt Extract Is Pricey!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
Stopped at LHBS today to get some malt extract for making starters. Cost was $8.50 for 1.5lbs. Haven't gotten any in a year +, so was a little surprised. In looking at Northern Brewer and Williams, appears it is pretty pricey even if buying in bigger qty. Props to all the extract brews as I couldn't afford to go that route ;), especially with all the higher gravity IPA's I make. Best thing I ever did with home brew: After 2nd batch ever (one kit and one extract Fat Tire), made equipment for all-grain and never looked back.

It's about $12 for 3 pounds of DME at the most "local" store I go to. It lasts a long, long time for starters, though. More than a year, definitely.

I get nice fresh bulk LME from my LHBS for $2/lb. DME is more expensive at $5/1 lb package or $12 for a 3 lb package, luckily I only use that for starters so it's not that bad.

wowsers, i think the last bulk malt order i got in on cost me about $38 shipped for a 55lb bag of 2 row, so about 70c/lb. cold day in hell when i go back to extract, even for starters, even at the 2/lb you offered up.

next time i will just mash 4lbs of grain and can starter wort instead of buying ME. the 4 lbs will cost me about 2.80 and make approx 2.75g of 1.041og wort at 77% eff. sounds like fun to me!!! :rockin::ban::tank::drunk:

p.s i am f'd up right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :ban::ban::ban: pb and j time!!

How can 3# of DME last a whole year for starters? Aren't typical starters about a half cup. I've gone through 3# in a few months just from that!

I put the kettle trub in a 2L beaker and put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, I dump off what wort is left, and freeze it for making starters. Uses less ME, and doesn't waste that last bit of wort.

B

DME for starters= a waste of money.

If you don't have any leftover wort from your last brew, do a little mini mash on your stove. A pound of 2-row in a gallon of water at 150 for a half hour will do fine, and is a helluva lot cheaper than DME.

Back