Wow! I was impressed with my last Verdant Krausen!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elric

Reaction score
So I made a best bitter last week which was my first time using verdant. It was the krausen that just would not diminish. As i ended up kegging that beer the same day I was brewing an imperial stout, I decided to just go ahead and rack the stout on top of the yeast cake from the bitter. Thing took off with a huge krausen within two hours, and by nightfall was already like it is now. Freaking monster! Been this high for a good 24 hours at this point. Looks like I currently have a higher volume of krausen then actual beer.
BB954D40-DCBF-4512-BA9E-A9B9064D9529.jpeg

Just posted a similar experience over on Instagram - last week's brew with Verdant IPA has the densest, most persistent krausen I think I've experienced. Day 8 and still sitting there like a sponge cake on the beer.

As I mentioned over on IG, I'm not sure how best to dry hop. Cooling down to 15C now, to see if that helps, but otherwise I'm leaning in favor of scooping some of the krausen off to let me get the hops in contact with the beer. Any other suggestions?

verdant-krausen-day-8.jpg

I don't know if 15c will be enough, but cold crashing is what eventually got the krausen on my bitter to drop. It was still showing no signs of dissipating when I started cold crashing it ten days in. After a day and a half in the keezer it had mostly dropped away.

Thanks, @Elric. Just saw your ealier post on the bitter, too - looks like a similar situation. I'll check in on my brew later and see if there's been any change, and maybe try dopping the temp further. Agree that this yeast is a beast! Fun to work with, and I've enjoyed the flavour from the gravity samples. Very promising

So I made a best bitter last week which was my first time using verdant. It was the krausen that just would not diminish. As i ended up kegging that beer the same day I was brewing an imperial stout, I decided to just go ahead and rack the stout on top of the yeast cake from the bitter. Thing took off with a huge krausen within two hours, and by nightfall was already like it is now. Freaking monster! Been this high for a good 24 hours at this point. Looks like I currently have a higher volume of krausen then actual beer.
Hi Elric - I'm wondering what you thought of the Verdant in your bitter? And what grains you used? Cheers!

I picked up a pack a month or so ago. It's in the "on deck circle".

Back