Wow!!! Cones already????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
Anyone else have cones? This picture was just taken this morning. It is a Cascade that I planted in March and purchased from Ray at Halifax Hops. There are 3 or 4 cones on this plant, and my Magnums are not too far behind.

image-2989915163.jpg

i have a bunch of very small cones, hope the plant continues to flourish

My 2nd year centennial started flowering the first week of may, and now has a dozens of large cones. My Willamette and Sterling now have burrs. My cascade is the only one that has yet to burr. I'm in Kansas, btw.

A few cones beginning to form on my second year Cascades. They are about 12 feet tall and going strong. I'm in upstate NY - last week was rainy so I hope the next few days are as sunny as forecast. I just applied the last dose of foliar compost tea; they love the nitrogen of spent beer grains composted.

My 2nd year Centennial, Chinook and Cascade have reached the 24 foot mark and are sporting a crap ton of burrs. One particularly precocious Chinook plant is covered in cones already. Some of them are over an inch long.
hops_08june2012_01.jpg

Cheers!

Someone in Florida has already harvested a crop. Last time I visited my plants only two of the eight had sprouted. These are 6 and 7 years old! It's been a cold, wet Spring and it's 52F with thundering right now.

I've got lots of burrs on a Summit plant along with a few baby hops. I'm in DC, and the plants are in containers. 5 other plants with lots of length, but no flowers there yet.

I have 12' out of my cascade with a dozen or so cones up top. My CTZ is lagging behind at around 7'. Both are second year plants. In 2 weeks I'll be going to a tour/lecture of a university hop research facility. Surely I'll glean something of worth.

I have 16 strings and 14 are taller than I am and 8 are in the 12' plus range. I've had spurs on a couple hops here in NW Indiana for a couple weeks, and my tallest plants ( in the 17'-18' range) have cones developing... Around 1/2" or so at this point. This is a second year set of plants, and since this it just my second year I'm not sure whether to attribute this massively improved season to the typical 2nd year bump or to the unseasonably early and warm spring we've had. Happy, either way. :)

Back