would YOU still brew with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twst1up

Reaction score
I have a kit (ok, 2 kits:eek:)with milled grain I got from NB in early/mid-sept. Its double bagged. My question: is this too old to use? Smells ok, looks ok. I'd hate to throw it out, i guess i could use it as a vehicle to further my experience, but it'd sure be cool if it was drinkable. This will be my 3rd ag attempt

I say yes, it's not that the grain goes bad, I think it just gets a bit stale. I think it should still make a good beer. Just my opinion.

already milled?

Hmm....tough one. You might suffer a bit with efficiency but it might be ok

already milled?

Hmm....tough one. You might suffer a bit with efficiency but it might be ok

Why would the efficiency suffer from an "old" crush?
Aroma, possibly. Like fresh ground vs old coffee. But efficiency? I don't buy it.

I used month old milled grains on a recent brew. The chocolate malt didn't come through like it normally does, and there is a "musty" taste(very slight) to it. It was stored in a paper bag(milled at the LHBS). If you stored it better it may be okay. Guess the only way to check is to brew with it.

I'd say "yes", but I'd sample a pinch of the grains first and see if they tasted stale. If they did, I'd ditch them. If they tasted ok, I'd brew with them for sure.

Latest posts

Back