Would you pay $100 for a kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first beer was an imported extract brew in China - a rough clone of the Caramel Amber Ale from this forum - and I paid over $100 for it. Then again, I've made my own AG recipes with mostly local ingredients for typically less than $20/batch ever since...

it does have 14oz of hops plus a hop shot, which is more than half the cost of the kit. Price seems high, but after looking at it, reasonable if that is the style you are going for.

Never. Buying ingredients separately (AG), I typically average $3.50 to $5.00 a finished gallon depending on OG and whether I'm reusing yeast. This is taking into account my system (in)efficiency.

That's a really big beer in that kit with 19 oz of hops plus the hip hop shots. I've never sourced those ingredients specifically, but I doubt it would all add up to $20.00 /gal (assuming it's a 5 gal kit), especially if you price shopped.

Never. Buying ingredients separately (AG), I typically average $3.50 to $5.00 a finished gallon depending on OG and whether I'm reusing yeast. This is taking into account my system (in)efficiency.

not with an OG of 1.090 and 14 oz of hops.

Built an all grain recipe with similar stats, OG at 1.085 and 11 oz of hops for sub-$50 through my LHBS...

I'd have second thoughts at the LHBS cash register if all I had on the counter were the brew ingredients. That said, the 14 oz of hops is going to be a big chunk of change.

I audibly snorted when I saw that email. No. I would not. My last IPA came in around $50 and that made me hesitate. $100? Forget it.

Not a chance...

There's a reason there's a whole industry built around marketing. They are playing off the Pliny name and jacking up the price to make it feel like it's exclusive and almost out of reach to make folks want it even more.

There are better recipes right here on HBT. Don't let them get in your head!

:mug:

It's not too late is it?? ;)

Weird: their Heady Topper clone uses maybe 13 oz of hops, plus hopshots, AND the base malt is premium import stuff and the price is only $56.

I never really got into the "triple" IPA trend. I think the triples are just as hoppy as the doubles/imperials. Plus, for me, I can only drink 2.5 gallons before a beer like this would fade away into something I didn't want to drink. It really doesn't suit my needs as a brewer or beer consumer...
$100 could get me 2 batches of equally as good IIPA, imo.

I never really got into the "triple" IPA trend...

I can only drink 2.5 gallons before a beer like this would fade away into something I didn't want to drink...

Even though I am into things like DFH 120, I don't buy it every time it's available, and when I do, I split one with my wife. 50 bottles of something like this? Too much.

NB kits are pretty pricey. You could buy 1 lb of each of those hops (4lbs total) for $80

They are charging $40 for extract and $60 for 3 hop shots and 14oz of hops.

I just made a Pliny Clone this past Saturday. 11/7/15

Based on Vinnie Cilurzo's recipe in Zymurgy 2009

AG
almost 14 lbs grain
total of 14 oz hops
Yeast

I paid $70 for those ingredients

I don't see $100 being that far off..... for that additional Hops ??

$2.99 an ounce for the Columbus - used 4.5 oz in the boil.....

I am not a fan of the HUGE HOP Bombs - I am makign this for a friend who is
He is footing the bill..... He likes the beers HOPPY

I will have to forward him this link , see if he wants me to try this next?

my 2 cents
Steve

I just made a Pliny Clone this past Saturday. 11/7/15

Based on Vinnie Cilurzo's recipe in Zymurgy 2009

AG
almost 14 lbs grain
total of 14 oz hops
Yeast

I paid $70 for those ingredients

I don't see $100 being that far off..... for that additional Hops ??

$2.99 an ounce for the Columbus - used 4.5 oz in the boil.....

I am not a fan of the HUGE HOP Bombs - I am makign this for a friend who is
He is footing the bill..... He likes the beers HOPPY

I will have to forward him this link , see if he wants me to try this next?

my 2 cents
Steve

http://labelpeelers.com/beer-making/hops/columbus-hops/pre-order-columbus-hops-pellet-1-lb/ This is a preorder and also the first place I looked, but you could have bought 1lb of Columbus fo the price paid for 4.5oz when brewing lots of ipas or big things like this buying bulk hops is the way to go.

http://labelpeelers.com/beer-making/hops/columbus-hops/pre-order-columbus-hops-pellet-1-lb/ This is a preorder and also the first place I looked, but you could have bought 1lb of Columbus fo the price paid for 4.5oz when brewing lots of ipas or big things like this buying bulk hops is the way to go.

I'm not the Hop Head - making it for a freind

I do not want an extra 11 oz of Columbus in my freezer.

I buy what i need, brew it up, and drink the beer.......

Next time maybe

S

That's what I was thinking, too. CTZ tend to be some of the cheapest hops on the market - $12-15/lb is pretty typical - $2.99/oz is highway robbery.

People saying this looks like an ~$70-80 recipe makes me scared.

14 lbs grain @ $1.29/lb = $18
14 oz hops @ $1/oz = $14
10mL hopshot @ $4.50 = $4.50
Safale US05 yeast @ $3 = $3.00

Comes out to ~$40

14 oz hops @ $1/oz = $14

Comes out to ~$40

I had only done the math in my head, but I came to $40-ish too. Kits are money down the drain, IMO. You could almost buy a wort chiller for the up charge.

I like the NB puts the recipe and instructions ip for download. If one was inclined they could just take the recipe to their LHBS. Just sayin'

I wouldn't pay that or brew it, not a fan of anything more than a good citrusy IPA.

14 oz hops @ $1/oz = $14

Comes out to ~$40

seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread...it's actually over 20 lbs of grain and 19 oz + 15 ml of hop extract. either way...$100 is a lot. i'm frugal and buy in bulk. i could easily do this for under $50. that said..i know many brewers that either for sake of simplicity or that they just don't care about the money, would buy this.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-PlinianProgeny.pdf

14 oz hops @ $1/oz = $14

Comes out to ~$40

Where can you get grains and hops so cheaply? Most of the places I see that sell bulk grains and hops charge an arm and a leg for shipping.

Where can you get grains and hops so cheaply? Most of the places I see that sell bulk grains and hops charge an arm and a leg for shipping.

I get my grains from my LHBS and hops (by the lb) from YakimaValleyHops.com

You can get grain at Morebeer.com for really cheap though, 10lbs of milled 2-row is $12.09 (http://www.morebeer.com/products/briess-brewers-2row-malt.html) which comes out to ~$1.20/lb. Morebeer.com offers free shipping on orders over $59.

I get my grains from my LHBS and hops (by the lb) from YakimaValleyHops.com

You can get grain at Morebeer.com for really cheap though, 10lbs of milled 2-row is $12.09 (http://www.morebeer.com/products/briess-brewers-2row-malt.html) which comes out to ~$1.20/lb. Morebeer.com offers free shipping on orders over $59.

Kit places aren't obligated to sell hops at the cheapest available cost (or at bulk cost). If an LHBS or online store sells hops for $2/ounce, they aren't going to make them $1/ounce in their kit.

Not that this means you should buy this kit, but kits are usually not for people who would buy their ingredients in bulk.

14 oz hops @ $1/oz = $14

Comes out to ~$40

Does all your grain cost only 1.29/lb?
Can you get the Amarillo and Simcoe, even the others without buying by the pound?
The recipe uses 3 hopshots!!
I would use 2 packs of US05 for this recipe.

So your price at ~$40 is low....

No I would not but the kit. I have not bought a kit for 2 years and that was just to try one that my LHBS puts together. I have only done 4 or 5 kits total in 4 1/4 years

Kit places aren't obligated to sell hops at the cheapest available cost (or at bulk cost). If an LHBS or online store sells hops for $2/ounce, they aren't going to make them $1/ounce in their kit.

Not that this means you should buy this kit, but kits are usually not for people who would buy their ingredients in bulk.

No one is saying that they're obligated to make their kits cheaper, but I think it's perfectly valid to point out that these kits are massively overpriced and the only ingredient you would need to buy in bulk are hops. Hops are one of the few ingredients I use again and again so I have no problem buying them in bulk. To me it makes sense to spend a little more up front to save a lot more in the future.

No one is saying that they're obligated to make their kits cheaper, but I think it's perfectly valid to point out that these kits are massively overpriced and the only ingredient you would need to buy in bulk are hops. Hops are one of the few ingredients I use again and again so I have no problem buying them in bulk. To me it makes sense to spend a little more up front to save a lot more in the future.

Buying in bulk is one of the best ways to save money.

I by most of my ingredients in bulk amounts.....

I also don't use kits. I did a few when I first started brewing in 2011

But, That is not the clientele that buys the kits. If you sourced out the grains, extracts, hops, hopshots, yeast etc. in quantities just enough to brew the beer I would expect you will be a LOT closer to $100 than $40.

Does all your grain cost only 1.29/lb?
Can you get the Amarillo and Simcoe, even the others without buying by the pound?
The recipe uses 3 hopshots!!
I would use 2 packs of US05 for this recipe.

So your price at ~$40 is low....

No I would not but the kit. I have not bought a kit for 2 years and that was just to try one that my LHBS puts together. I have only done 4 or 5 kits total in 4 1/4 years

I pay $1/lb for 2-row and and $1.79/lb for specialty grain.

I haven't found small packages of hops for reasonable prices. If you keep an eye out you can find some really good deals at the half pound (I saw a half pound of 2014 Amarillo going for $13 recently - kicking myself for not grabbing them when I had the chance). Amarillo/Citra/Mosiac/Simcoe usually go for around $25/lb, but these are the "top shelf" hops. Centennial, Chinook, and Cascade usually go for $12-13/lb and Columbus can be found for around $9-10/lb. On average it works out to around $1/oz for me. If I was using only "top shelf" hops my cost would go up to $1.50/oz.

The recipe uses 3 5mL hopshots or 15mL total, so you would need to buy 2 extra 3mL hopshots @ $1.50/shot from Yakima Valley Hops. Each mL of hopshot is supposed to add ~10 IBUs to a 5 gallon batch so the hopshots that Yakima Valley sells may be more potent - 150 IBUs is a huge bittering charge.

2 packets of US05 would definitely be a good idea although not sure if it was included with the kit, if it was that's an extra $3

So yeah, my estimate was probably a bit low and the costs would be closer to ~$50 for me, assuming I bought the hops in bulk. Others who buy their grain in bulk (I see bulk base grain around $35/sack locally) could drive these costs down further.

For me, the kit should cost about what the ingredients all cost on their shelf, not assuming any bulk purchases. If it includes a pound of Biscuit, then that's $2.59 (what Morebeer charges for a pound), not the lower bulk price. Same with hops.

Your argument is more against brewing this type of thing from a kit at all, which I agree with. But I'm not surpirsed this kit is up there. Still a lot cheaper than buying a case of commercial DIPA.

i don't see anything really wrong with the pricing, considering what it is. to compare it against all-grain bulk costs is silly. for someone without an all-grain setup or a lhbs or the ability to store bulk ingredients, this is a perfect alternative.

If a kit uses ~8oz of Simcoe and ~5oz of Columbus, with ~20lbs of pale 2-row you are already buying quantities of ingredients that are at "bulk" levels. IMO it seems cheap of the shop to say, "Oh you're buying a kit - I'll charge you 20 x $1.59 for this grain instead of 2 x $12.09, those simcoe hops - those are 8 x $3 for each ounce instead of 1 x $18 that we usually charge for our half pound price."

It seems like these companies are just trying to take advantage of new brewers by pushing overpriced kits on them. Some places like Northern Brewer are WAY worse than other places like Morebeer.

I want to know where Amarillo and Simcoe are for $1 an oz. Columbus, Centennial, Warrior, etc I can find those for around $1 or below. But for the Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Mosiacs of the world... I don't see cheaper than ~$1.50 an oz even when buying a pound at a time, most places are higher than that.

That said, I wouldn't pay $100 for a kit.

If a kit uses ~8oz of Simcoe and ~5oz of Columbus, with ~20lbs of pale 2-row you are already buying quantities of ingredients that are at "bulk" levels. IMO it seems cheap of the shop to say, "Oh you're buying a kit - I'll charge you 20 x $1.59 for this grain instead of 2 x $12.09, those simcoe hops - those are 8 x $3 for each ounce instead of 1 x $18 that we usually charge for our half pound price."

It seems like these companies are just trying to take advantage of new brewers by pushing overpriced kits on them. Some places like Northern Brewer are WAY worse than other places like Morebeer.

it depends on the packaging. if the shop is weighing out bulk ingredients and packaging them for you, it shouldn't come as a surprise that they don't charge the same price as if you measured them out yourself.

agree that the kit is high in price but it isn't outrageous once all these factors are considered.

OK, just for the heck of it, I am going to my LHBS' site and breaking this down. If they offer a discount (and they do) for larger-volume purchases, I am using that figure.

I saw 14 pounds of grain used in another clone, but we don't know what this kit has. I am going to round up to 15 pounds, just for the heck of it, and also to off-set any price discrepancy for any specialty grains used (which I don't know if there are any in this kit or not). Very un-scientific, but hey...

:)

$20.50 - 15# grain, American 2-row
$12.00 - 3 5mL hopshots
$42.75 - 19oz of hops at an average of $2.25/oz (Simcoe is $2.50, Columbus is $2, the rest are all $2.25/oz)
$8.00 - 2 packets US-05 yeast

$85.25 total from my LHBS to piece this out. Add 8% sales tax (here in NC) then it jumps to $92 and change.

Yeah, I'd still rather do that and save $, but $100 isn't as far off as I initially thought.

Again, this exercise was to piecemeal the recipe out & see what the maximum charge would be. Of course, bulk buys will drop that number significantly, esp. where the hops are concerned.

Last edited:
since i am bored, i priced out the ingredients individually of of northern brewer's site:

$2.29 - 10 oz Briess Carapils (purchase 16 oz)
$2.49 - 6 oz bairds carastan (purchase 16 oz)
$19.99 - 6 lbs pilsen malt syrup
$11.99 - 3.15 lbs pilsen malt syrup
$11.99 - 3 lbs pilsen dme
$5.58 - 2 lbs corn sugar (wort and priming)
$3.99 - 1 oz amarillo pellet
$6.99 - 5 oz columbus pellet (purchase 8 oz)
$19.98 - 9 oz simcoe pellet (purchase 8 oz and 1 oz packages)
$6.99 - 4 oz centennial pellet (purchase 8 oz)
$11.97 - 15 ml hopshot (three 5 ml syringes)
$3.99 - safeale us-o5 dry yeast
$0.99 - mesh bag

grand total of $109.23. yeah, yeah, nb is more expensive than others but even if you went to your lhbs and picked this out individually, it is still going to run you over $90.

Back