would you do allgrain or extract if prices were similar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HOw can you not save money by going to AG? Besides the crusher, the cost of equipment is not hardly worth mentioning. Yes, you *could* spend tons more on equipment, and many do, but it's not necessary to get the job done.

But if you really wanted to shop for lowest cost, you can save tons over extract in bulk buys etc.

I have not yet done AG and I admit that cost is a major reason (actually, I've been sort of working on going to AG for a while, but Old man winter and my lack of time due to remodeling our house has kept me from it for a while), I just want to experience the process of crushing and mashing, etc.

For those who spend tons of money on AG, it's not the AG that costs the money, it's your decision to spend tons on equipment! I'm closely following the frugal brewing thread because I'm curious about all the ways to save money. Most of them could never impact quality and if they add time and hassle to the brewing, they also add experience and interest.

HOw can you not save money by going to AG? Besides the crusher, the cost of equipment is not hardly worth mentioning. Yes, you *could* spend tons more on equipment, and many do, but it's not necessary to get the job done.

But if you really wanted to shop for lowest cost, you can save tons over extract in bulk buys etc.

I have not yet done AG and I admit that cost is a major reason (actually, I've been sort of working on going to AG for a while, but Old man winter and my lack of time due to remodeling our house has kept me from it for a while), I just want to experience the process of crushing and mashing, etc.

For those who spend tons of money on AG, it's not the AG that costs the money, it's your decision to spend tons on equipment! I'm closely following the frugal brewing thread because I'm curious about all the ways to save money. Most of them could never impact quality and if they add time and hassle to the brewing, they also add experience and interest.

You greatly underestimate how easy it is to want to continually upgrade your process and equipment. :D

I started barebones with a converted cooler and a keggle. Now I have just about every gadget imaginable and I'm sure that I'm destined to eventually have one of these in my garage. :rockin:

Monobloc.jpg

To echo most comments-I didn't think AG would be so much more satisfying until I did it. I also think the beer is better and has more depth. When I took a whiff and a taste of my 1st batch ever-for some reason I couldn't believe that that sugary, nasty, tea-like wort had changed into actual beer...it was like, "Sh&%t I really CAN make this stuff in my basement!"

For my 1st AG batch, I had this same feeling when I stuck my finger in and tasted the sticky sweet first runnings...those enzymes really DO convert starches to sugars! It is just a great feeling to nurture the beer through every step. In reality, it's probably cheaper to just buy good craft beer-but it will never taste as good as your own.

Back