Would you change anything in this ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourmilk413

Reaction score
Cent ipa

12 lbs. 2 row
14 oz. Crystal 10*
10 oz. Crystal 60*
*8 oz. Carapilz
*4 oz. Corn sugar

.75 oz. Centennial (60min.)
.25 oz. Centennial (20min.)
1.0 oz. Centennial (15min.)
**.5 oz. Amarillo * (15min.)
2.0 oz. Centennial (5 min.)
**.5 oz. Amarillo. **(5 min.)
1.0 oz. Centennial (dry)

1099 whitebread*

Single infusion mash 152*f, 90 min. Boil, ferment at 68- 70* f

That's a awful lot of crystal malt at 2 1/4 lbs. Carapils isn't necessary, just mash higer if you want more body, but I doubt you'd need it. I'd cut both crystal malt to half a pound each.

I'd ditch the carapils and light crystal, or at least only use a pound total including the crystal 60L. Maybe .5 pound 60L and .5 pound 20L.

I'd consider leaving out the corn sugar (or is for priming?) since it's only 4 ounces and insignificant.

I'm not sure what your efficiency is, but it my system I'd get a fairly high OG with that much grain, so I'd increase the bittering hops to 1 ounce, possibly more. Actually, I'd rearrange the hopping since .25 ounce in one place and 2 ounces in another is sort of strange to me. I'd do this:

1.25 oz. Centennial (60min.) (maybe even more, depending on the probable OG of this beer, and the IBUs)

1.0 oz. Centennial (15min.)
1 oz. Amarillo * (10min.)
1.0 oz. Centennial (5 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo. **(0 min.)
1.0 oz. Centennial (dry)
1 oz amarillo (dry)

Latest posts

Back