Would you brew in the bathroom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you brew in the bathroom?

• Total voters

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
Not sure if best forum for this (Sanitation). Mods, feel free to move.

The goal is to figure out a way to streamline my process by moving to electric heat source and brewing in my master bathroom.
"Why do that?" you ask.

• It's spacious and allows isolation from distractions.
• Temperature control (more comfortable than brewing outside in winter and summer).
• Tile floor, easy to clean spills.

Why am I asking for votes? Concern about airborne bacteria potentially affecting the wort. I don't think I need to go into detail haha FWIW, the commode would not be used during the brew session. We have another bathroom.

Thanks!

While I've never seen anyone actual do the brewing in the can, I have seen plenty of folks fermenting and bottling in the bathroom. I would be inclined to say that those two aspects of brewing require more sanitization than the actual brewing process. I wouldn't think twice about doing it if it was an easier situation.

I don’t brew in the bathroom but I do ferment there sometimes.

I do 90% of my brewing at our farm where I have lots of room in the basement. We have a small retirement house in a city 250 miles away where there isn’t much extra space. I brew there a few times a year (small batch BIAB in the garage) and take advantage of having an extra bathroom by fermenting in the tub in the guest bath. Temp control is easy and I’ve never had any sanitation issues.

I plan to brew sometimes (winter and other weather conditions) in my shower. There is an exhaust fan, a drain and a water supply. I'll be using a 110 ebiab setup so power is easy as well.

I do 90% of my brewing at our farm where I have lots of room in the basement.

That's part of my problem. I've been BIAB exclusively outside. Once or twice, I did at the opening of the garage but nixed it. At that point, might as well just take a few steps into driveway and not worry about steam in garage.
There are more reasons I'm trying to move inside - sparing those details unless there is a demand to know them.

I plan to brew sometimes (winter and other weather conditions) in my shower. There is an exhaust fan, a drain and a water supply. I'll be using a 110 ebiab setup so power is easy as well.

A friend here has cautioned me about the bathroom exhaust fan idea. As I understand it, there is the potential for the steam to not contain just water in the vapors but also wort particles. Thus possibly causing damage to the fan (sticky residue). I'm not smart enough to have thought of that on my own - perhaps others have had some experience?

i wouldnt be afraid to, obviously take the standard precautions. i have a large master bathroom and i have never brewed there but as grampamark said i also have fermented there. temp control and it has a heated floor that help keep the yeast happy.
cheers!

Why not in the shower?

1589998655087.png

I lived in two different one bedroom one bathroom apartments for about 3 years and exclusively brewed in my bathroom.

All the points the OP pointed out are completely valid. Plus the bathtub is great for cleaning everything as you have a hot water source. I also used a faucet adapter from the sink to drive my chiller and used the output hose as a rinse hose as I cleaned everything in the tub.

Attachments

• 20180513_094850.jpg
    20180513_094850.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
I built a dedicated brew room in my large basement bathroom. I try to limit bathroom type use to just the kids and clean the area well before any brewing activities. Have done about a dozen total batches of cider, beer, wine, and kombucha with no problems. I'm very happy with how it is working out
20200521_063549.jpg
20200521_063554.jpg
20200521_063606.jpg

I fermented my beer and cleaned my fermenters in my guest bathtub that was rarely used for years before I built a dedicated brew area. It's not like you're fermenting the beer in the toliet itself. Shower curtain was closed most of the time to separate fermenter from the toliet area.

It's not a problem as long as your bathroom isn't a **** hole. In my case, we cleaned our bathrooms with bleach way more often than we cleaned any other room. Our bathroom at that time had tile walls and floors. Super easy to clean with bleach and probably cleaner than brewing anywhere else.

I also used a faucet adapter from the sink to drive my chiller

That's a problem I've got to figure out. My faucet doesn't have a thread on it.
I do have a 1/3HP utility pump with garden hose thread. Could use that in a cooler of ice water, recirculating the water through the IC (replacing the cooler water supply with cold water as needed).

I brew in my kitchen. I plan the brew days mostly and my wife knows so she works around me when I'm brewing. I guess it depends on ones set up. I use the Grainfather so it doesnt take up much space when I'm brewing.

A regularly used bathroom? No. In the winter, I'll rinse out kegs and fermenters in an active bathroom before they go back to the basement for cleaning and sanitizing.

If a was a spare bathroom, I'd have no problem using the it as a brew space.

Please forgive me for not making this request in the original post - for those saying they would not, is bacteria / contamination the reason? If it is, is there any solid evidence available?

Thank you!

I wouldn't brew in the bathroom, but not because of sanitation/bacteria issues. Steam, spills (wipe as much as you want, it'll still be sticky), storage of equipment, damage to surfaces from heavy metal objects etc., the smell in the house (I like it - my family doesn't)....I lasted about four brews inside the house before I was kicked out. YMMV, especially if you're cleaner and tidier than I am.

That's a problem I've got to figure out. My faucet doesn't have a thread on it. I do have a 1/3HP utility pump with garden hose thread. Could use that in a cooler of ice water, recirculating the water through the IC (replacing the cooler water supply with cold water as needed).

A replacement faucet is pretty cheap, especially if you can replace it yourself.

Recirculation is great for chilling, that's what I do. I first recirculate from a 5gal bucket of water, and save the resulting hot water as my wash water for cleanup. Then I switch to recirculating from a cooler with water and a 20lb bag of ice, which I get for $2 at a local discount grocery.

As for your question about bacteria, it's all over. It's on your bathroom surfaces, your kitchen cutting board, your coffee table in the living room, your hands, etc. There's nothing special about the bathroom in that regard. Go for it, as long as your ventilation fan can keep up with the steam of boiling. If not, you could get a steam condenser.

That's a problem I've got to figure out. My faucet doesn't have a thread on it.
I do have a 1/3HP utility pump with garden hose thread. Could use that in a cooler of ice water, recirculating the water through the IC (replacing the cooler water supply with cold water as needed).
Get a new faucet

I use to ferment in the spare bathroom tub. I used the tub with water in it to keep the temperature down. T-shirts over the kegs can drop the temp a few degrees via evaporation. It was all tile and I cleaned it with bleach. I never had a problem. Used this for years before I got a upright freezer and temp controller.

FYI to keep other bathrooms cleaner always close the seat before flushing.

Did you would brew in your kitchen?
If the answer is "YES", so go ahead to brew on the bathroom.
In general bathrooms are cleaner than kitchens.

Kitchens are dirtier than bathrooms, study finds

From BBC link bellow: "Usually there are about 200 times more faecal bacteria on the average cutting board than on a toilet seat"

How dirty are toilet seats?

Maybe in Britian, but here at my house my kitchen is cleaner . So by this study one should chop their veggies on their toilet seat before their cutting board lol.....no thanks .

Each room has their own issues . I dont even like using cleaning rags that were used in the bathroom to clean the kitchen ......that is gross .

A replacement faucet is pretty cheap

OK...

especially if you can replace it yourself

Nope!

Recirculation is great for chilling, that's what I do. I first recirculate from a 5gal bucket of water, and save the resulting hot water as my wash water for cleanup.

Similar. Except my supply has always been from the pipes. Now we're talking.

Then I switch to recirculating from a cooler with water and a 20lb bag of ice, which I get for $2 at a local discount grocery.

Incredible price. We got whacked with a hammer for those summer cookouts that call for ice in the cooler.
My plan would be to utilize ice packs and tap water frozen in previously used water bottles. Good idea?

There's nothing special about the bathroom in that regard.

Thank you.

Go for it, as long as your ventilation fan can keep up with the steam of boiling. If not, you could get a steam condenser.

Are any others concerned about the wort steam creating a potential sticky situation in that fan?
The plan would be to create a port in my BK which would allow for a condenser to be used. I have no experience with that device so I've got some homework to do.

Used this for years before I got a upright freezer and temp controller.

That's the plan. Trying to find that upright freezer affordably has been the obstacle.

OK...

Nope!

Similar. Except my supply has always been from the pipes. Now we're talking.

Incredible price. We got whacked with a hammer for those summer cookouts that call for ice in the cooler.
My plan would be to utilize ice packs and tap water frozen in previously used water bottles. Good idea?

Thank you.

Are any others concerned about the wort steam creating a potential sticky situation in that fan?
The plan would be to create a port in my BK which would allow for a condenser to be used. I have no experience with that device so I've got some homework to do.

That's the plan. Trying to find that upright freezer affordably has been the obstacle.
Check into the Steam Slayer from Brewhardware. But you would need a faucet that would accept an adapter. Back to square one...

Check into the Steam Slayer from Brewhardware. But you would need a faucet that would accept an adapter. Back to square one...

Precisely the device I had in mind. From the product page:

"Install your water source fitting. If you selected the Garden Hose fitting, attach it to your garden hose bib, a garden hose, a slop sink faucet, or a washing machine supply port. If you selected the inline faucet supply fitting, shut off the cold water valve under your sink, remove the hose feeding your faucet and install the inline fitting. Replace the faucet hose on top and turn the water back on to check for leaks."

The closest option would be either the sink supply line or the toilet supply line (that one is actually pretty easy to get to). Unless I'm not understanding something correctly, I might have a solution for that part of the equation.

There are other factors at play for bringing the operation inside, notably, using electric as a heat source. I don't want to get too off-topic though...

Side note - at this moment, I am tickled at the even split for voters in the poll lol

...My plan would be to utilize ice packs and tap water frozen in previously used water bottles. Good idea?...

The ability of the ice to cool the water is dependent on surface area, so the much larger surface area of a bag of small pieces of ice is going to be better than large chunks of ice frozen in bottles.

I've tried it both ways. Using bagged ice I never have a problem getting quickly to pitching temp. Using frozen bottles it takes longer, and I can never quite get to pitching temp, requiring use of the fermentation chamber to finish off the chill.

Please forgive me for not making this request in the original post - for those saying they would not, is bacteria / contamination the reason? If it is, is there any solid evidence available?

Thank you!
There is an OSHA regulation against having food in a "toilet room". OSHA generally has good reasons for their regulations. Another item: When a toilet is flushed, there is a plume of droplets that rise up from it. For these reasons, and my own feeling that it just doesn't seem right, I wouldn't brew or bottle in a bathroom. And my reason is bacteria/contamination.

There is an OSHA regulation against having food in a "toilet room". OSHA generally has good reasons for their regulations. Another item: When a toilet is flushed, there is a plume of droplets that rise up from it. For these reasons, and my own feeling that it just doesn't seem right, I wouldn't brew or bottle in a bathroom. And my reason is bacteria/contamination.
Where do you keep your toothbrush? And if you close the lid there won't be a plume.
I never brewed in the bathroom but i did keep my fermenters in the tub.

Precisely the device I had in mind. From the product page:

"Install your water source fitting. If you selected the Garden Hose fitting, attach it to your garden hose bib, a garden hose, a slop sink faucet, or a washing machine supply port. If you selected the inline faucet supply fitting, shut off the cold water valve under your sink, remove the hose feeding your faucet and install the inline fitting. Replace the faucet hose on top and turn the water back on to check for leaks."

The closest option would be either the sink supply line or the toilet supply line (that one is actually pretty easy to get to). Unless I'm not understanding something correctly, I might have a solution for that part of the equation.

There are other factors at play for bringing the operation inside, notably, using electric as a heat source. I don't want to get too off-topic though...

Side note - at this moment, I am tickled at the even split for voters in the poll lol
If you added a 1/2" valve with a 1/4" compression for the supply you could shut it off and coil it up under the sink when not in use. Then run the discharge line in the tub.
I don't know why people get hung up on Brewing in a bathroom. As long as you sanitize before brewing I don't see a problem. It's not like you'll be taking a crap at the same time. Lol

I fail to see the logic behind a sanitation concern. The wort is being sanitized by boiling and transferred into a sanitized fermenter through sanitized tubing. You can always give all of the bathroom's hard surfaces a spray with a sanitizer like OdoBan in advance. Throw an old towel over the can, if that scares you. Those of you brewing in the garage aren't worried about sanitation?

I have brewed in my basement bathroom a number of times with absolutely no problems. I do this in winter because it's the best place in the house for it, since it has water and a fan. I also use that shower for a wash station for larger items, like my fermenter and kettle. I use camlock fittings on the showerhead so that I can easily swap it for a hose.

Back