Would this work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smileyak87

Reaction score
Okay I have the following supplies left after brewing a bunch over the christmas holiday and want to use it up

4 pounds pilsner malt
0.5 pounds 6 row
4 pounds extra light dme
1 pack Nottingham yeast

My hops I bought in bulk son I have available to choose from
1 pound Magnum
1 pound Chinook
1 pound cascade
1 pound tettnanger

Can I make anything with this stuff?

I also have a 5 pound bag of frozen strawberries son was hoping to make something with strawberry

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Not son. Should be so I lol. My son is only 6 so hopefully he isn't trying to make any strawberry beers. Stupid auto correct

Hmmm, I threw that stuff into beer smith and got approximately 5.6% ABV with a SG of 1.058. It'll be very light but that's not a terrible thing.

This member did this brew called Cherries in the Snow. Using all pale malt then racking over cherries. Maybe you can do that, that was my first thought with the strawberries. It came out good, I got a bottle on trade. It was sourish, because the cherries are sour, but it was good with the hops. He used Hallertauer and tettnang so I would use .5 tettnang and 1 oz cascade. If you don't want to do that, send the stuff here and I'll brew it. I'll let you know how it tastes. :D

Glad you cleared up the "son" part because I was mildly curious.

PS here is the screen shot of the Cherries in the Snow beer. All credit goes to Joe aka coyote68.

Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 2.03.50 PM.jpg

Sounds like a good backyard bbq beer. I think I will brew it up sunday

Toast about 20% of your grains (roughly 15 minutes @35 on a baking sheet then let it mellow for a week or so - plenty of info on the web) and make a very simple dry pale ale with it. One of my favorite beers that I make is an english pale at 80% maris otter and 20% toasted maris otter. It'll come out dry and hoppy - very refreshing.

looks like a pale ale with dealer's choice for hops. take your pick, and maybe take the opportunity to try single hopping if you're at all curious about the individual characteristics of any of those hop varieties you have. consider a 90 minute boil because of all that pilsner.

90 minute boil with magnum as the battering hop and cascade (I love the smell) as the aroma hop sounds good to me

Do I mash the pilsner and the 6 row at 155 for 60?

mash the pilsner and 6 row between 150 and 158 for 60 minutes. I would try this with a large-ish pot in a warm oven. i had success with this method once. don't worry too much about the exactness of the mash temp, just try to hit somewhere in that range and you'll be good

I mashed doing biab on monday in my 5 gallon pot and maintained 155 for 60 minutes

Thanks everybody. Creating recipes always confuses me so again I appreciate all the help

Latest posts

Back