Would this work in a mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbrewer227

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day on new ways to make manifolds and false bottoms for mash tuns and this crossed my mind. Say I have a rectangular cooler and somehow make a frame that raises and inch or so off the bottom and has a window type screen in the frame. Then around the sides of the frame seal it with food grade silicone so no grains get into the bottom inch or so of dead space, just wort. Has anyone ever tried something like this before and if so how did it work?

I'm thinking that window screen may be too fragile, and prone to being punctured by whatever you use to stir your mash.

You will also find with each batch some smaller pieces make it through the screen and if it can't be removed--because of the silicone--then it will be very hard to clean underneath. Something removable is helpful for cleaning.

Thinking of getting my hands on some stainless steel mesh like used in strainers and making a frame with a rubber gasket around it so it can be removed if need be. Thanks for the input guys

this is why homebrewing is the best... despite perfectly good products out on the market, we (homebrewers) are always wondering how we can make things 1. Cheaper or 2. More unique.

i say try it. if it works the awesome. if not, at least you tried something new.

I think as long as it was removable it would work. Besides being fragile, the screen will also need to be supported somehow so it doesn't collapse under the weight of the grains. The joint between the screen and frame will definitely be the failure point.

Maybe if you could find a grate that could be attached under the screen, that would do the trick. A replacement grill grate or a cookie cooling rack might give you the support you'd need at a cheap cost.

Back