would this work for adding fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmythefoot

Reaction score
Would this work to add fruit to my brew rather then transferring it to a secondary. At 3 weeks popping off my blow out tube and stopper on my fermenter and with a long funnel (the funnel end would be below the brew line to minimize splashing) poring in fruit puree or blended fruit and reattaching the stopper/blow off.

it would free up a container. i know it would still be on the trub but with all that i have read on here i now longer fear the trub.

what do you all think.

The biggest problem with long primaries and trying to add fruit is beer loss due to there being a lot of tub and sediment you are trying to secondary ferment in the primary. Even adding fruit to the boil is problematic for long primarying. Speaking from experience, for example with a pumpkin ale I tried that on, you have a lot of goop that will make for a difficult racking AND bottling experience. Taking the beer to a secondary or even a tertiary before bottling will help leave that sediment behind.

There's no problem with adding the fruit to primary, but I would then rack to a secondary for a week or so to let all the fruit goop settle out, when that fermentation is complete.

I've made some fruit beers and always used a second stage for the fruit, but it seems like it should be OK. Not speaking from experience though.

Latest posts

Back