would this work for a chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also found a couple more that look more like the one typically sold by HBS's.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7524328834&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7503276060&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

But, none of these are pictured with power cords. So, I questioned one of the sellers and he says that he doesn't think they need one. But, the images of these on HBS sites always have a power cord. I know these are probably dumb questions but I don't want to buy the wrong thing and I know very little about electrical stuff. I would think that the freezer plugs into the controller and the controller plugs into the wall. So when the temp drops the controller turns the freezer back on.

Anyone have any light to shed on this for me?

I have one of those controllers, but it came with a power cord. The problem as I see it is that the cord which came with mine has the power in and power out on the same cord. I don't know what the internal wiring looks like. If those came with wiring diagrams you could probably cut up and extension cord and wire it to work.

I have bought the Ranco controllers without cords and wired them myself, but those came with good wiring diagrams.

If you're not that good at wiring I would try to make sure they have good diagrams at the least.

I'm thinking that with these I would have to cut the power cord from my freezer and splice this unit between the two ends. Does that sound about right?

I guess you could, but why not cut an extension cord instead? Then just plug your freezer cord into the extension cord.

This is the one I went with -
HERE

So, now all I need is a CO2 tank, regulator, and disconnects for the keg and I'm ready to go!

UPDATE -
The switch works!! I wired it up last night and successfully turned a lamp on and off by taking the probe out of the fridge.
Picked up the tank (20# CO@) and regulator today! So, technically I could keg tonight!

Back