Would this taste good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

35se

Reaction score
I am thinking of what to brew for my first batch. I ordered the wheat ale kit from Northern Brewer along with my equipment.

At first I was all about Cherry wheat (still considering it) because I recently tried the Sam adams cherry wheat and thought it actually tasted pretty good. So I wanted to compare what I brewed to that.

But then I ate an Asian Pear. For those who may not know what it is. It's kinda like an apple and a pear mixed together. Down right delicious.

But has anyone tried or could anyone guess if an Asian Pear wheat ( or apple pear wheat) would taste good? I have seen various fruit beers but so far haven't really seen an apple wheat.

Maybe it's because the two don't mix? I don't know I am new to this. lol

But any comments/suggestions would be awesome. I'm really interested to see if this would work or not.

I would just do the kit. wheat yeast is mostly about controlling the fermentation temperature. If you don't like wheat beer then you bought the wrong kit ;)

Pear juice is nice.. especially in cider.

I love wheat beer. But I also like the additions ive tried lately. Like the Cherry Wheat. I also just tried a blackberry wheat that was very refreshing.

We have those asian pears at our local grocery too. We call'em papples. They have a light flavor,so it shouldn't be overpowering to say the least. I say give it a try. It'll certainly be light.

I'm sure the flavor would be fine. I wouldn't be able to coach you on how many papples to add though, or when. My gut says to add 5lbs worth (cut into pieces) during secondary. Sanitize with some grain alcohol or vodka and then freeze, that might work. I'd be interested to see what others say.

Brew 5 gallons of normal beer, and when you go to bottle, bottle 4 gallons, and move the last gallon into a 1 gallon glass jug with the pears to try it.

If you love it, great, scale it up next time. If not, you still have 4 gallons of good beer.

Take this for whatever it is, but for your first batch, you should just do a normal brew instead of going crazy. While brewing isnt the most complicated thing, it's good to get the process down. That being said, once its in the secondary, its pretty smooth sailings, so it wouldnt be completely out of the ordinary to throw some fruit in, but still, simple can be good for brew number one.

Thanks for the comments all. I have taken all of these things into consideration many times.

Papples might be a risky first batch but from what I've read(alot of fruit beer threads here) it doesn't seem to difficult to turn wheat into fruit wheat.... famous last words Ofc.

Idk tho. My kit comes tomorrow I will see how it goes at the lhbs and see if I pull the trigger on Modding it.

Again thanks again for all the comments. Super excited about tomorrow!!

Back