Would this pump work for a whirlpool, immersion chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briewer2

Reaction score
I found this pump on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/5-12V-Brushless-Magnetic-Self-priming-Water/dp/B009B583OK

It is super cheap, Amazon Prime eligible, and seems to meet the specs I want. I will only be using this pump to recirculate wort for Jamil's "Whirlpool/Immersion Chiller" set up.

I was going to build a counterflow, but I like the idea of cooling the whole batch at once instead of leaving most of it at just below boiling while you chill a small amount. So instead I am doing the Jamil setup with a small pre chiller.

My setup is simple. 15 gallon Megapot with a bazooka screen, and a 50' x 1/2" immersion chiller. I would like to use this pump to recirculate the wort across the chiller surface. Think it is robust enough? I have very little experience with small pump and prefer to rely on gravity.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The specs on that thing state that it will pump .35 gallons per minute. That is not going to be enough to get a whirlpool going. I would use a much stronger pump.

Nevermind, I found the encyclopedia written about the cheap pumps, sorry to be redundant!!!!

Back