Would this be a good HLT Deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BARBQ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I buy all my pots and boil/fry stuff from Academy since they always have the best deals it seems. They have this I was thinking would be a good HLT:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...ng/turkey&start=0&selectedSKU=0267-00513-9329

0267-00513-9329-p2.jpg

I just cant see if it has any outlet. It says something about draining, but who knows. I might have to inspect it visually at the store.

i took some more pics of it after checking it out at the store. I will upload later. It could be used as a BIAB Mash pot easily. It has a heating element on the bottom then there is a heat guard on top then it has the basket that you can lower to the bottom on top of the heat guard. Wow.

Then it has a dial to do an exact temp, then you can actually tell if for how long in a time dial. Talk about easy.

The only thing is the pipe drain fitting in the bottom cant drain anything over 100F. I think the valve is poor quality. Either way the hole is cut already so you could easily replace it with whatever.

It might be kind of small but have you looked at those 1 kettle all grain ideas in the forums? If you change the valve like you said it might be perfect!

Then it has a dial to do an exact temp, then you can actually tell if for how long in a time dial. Talk about easy.

I have one similiar, I would not think the thermostat is nearly accurate to conrol a mash....but might work manually. 7 gal might be a little small for BIAB. There is a thread where a guy used 3 as a sytem, he did insulate the inner liner of the pot, otherwise it will struggle to boil without the lid.

I would work for an HLT, a bit slow though due to the wattage.

yeah I guess it would be a good alternative for the electric folks. 7 gal aint bad though or 79 bucks!

almost forgot, here are my recon pics in case anyone is interested

hrexsg.jpg

243p7iv.jpg

5ewe3b.jpg

2ym6ag9.jpg

2eksopw.jpg

I'll bet you could - if you wanted to - separate the coil/thermostat from that cheezt kettle and mount it on a proper brew kettle. Boo-ya.

Back