Would Starsan do anything for my "friends" shoes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't spray Starsan on shoes.

Since Star San is acid based, contact with soft metals, plastic and rubber should be kept to a minimum.

From Midwest's website. This just screams shoes. I would stick with powders DESIGNED for foot odor. If your "friend is really close I think they would understand if you filled their shoes. ;)

cool. Considering I have had tennis shoes come out of the washer in pieces with just laundry detergent, I think you will end up with bits and not pieces.

Good thinking trying it out on old shoes. This could be an interesting experiment. Next you should try it on a friend's carpet or upholstry :)

I once had a butcher as a neighbor. I remember one day he stopped over for a homebrew right after work. He must have been wearing his work shoes because one of my Labradors damn near ripped a shoe off his left foot. PU

Heard a good tip once but never really needed to try it. Put the stinky shoes in a plastic bag and put em in the freezer. The cold will kill the fungus...and hopefully the stink.

I have used it on rock climbing shoes... No socks, tons of sweat == nasty. No luck. Didn't hurt them, but didn't help either.

Haven't tried star san but the freezer thing does not work.

I have had climbing shoes that I had to tie to a roof rack, even the trunk was too painful for the occupants of the car. Kayaking booties even worse with a layer of mold added.

One time I had to went to a family wedding out of town and had to share a room with my sister. I think it was when I was climbing a lot. After that get together there was not a birthday or holiday that did not include a gift basket of foot products. Some of that stuff really works better than any old wives tail. First try bleach or star san to kill some of it, then powders to keep it from coming back. The most important part is to have the person wear socks to keep the sweat added to the shoe down. Change the socks often if need be, and throw away the shoes once they get too bad.

I was told to use a microwave and zap my work boots. Not when the SWMBO is home.
My leather work boots after spending a couple days in mud and water
they became rather rank everytime they became damp and warm again later with normal wearing. I was mad as they were only a couple weeks old so soaked them in 90% rubbing alcohol overnight then air dried. That worked for me saving me $168 for another pair of work boots. This plus soaking your feet in rubbing alcohol stopped the problem from spreading to other shoes and the boots again. This brings back the high school PE locker days, some really rank lockers I almost forgot about. Jungle rot anyone?
An odd but common serious problem, on a bier forum?
What's next jock itch cures? LMAO.

I'm a hockey player and my skates get an unexplainable smell. My wife won't let me bring them in the house...

Long story short I sprayed them with a light bleach water mix. Less than 10%. let them dry and did it again and the funk was gone. They smell like bleach after my first few games. But it got rid of the smell. Try 5% mix maybe it'll leave less smell.

Speaking of Star-san and cat pee, I have a area of carpet in my living room that one of the cats decided to use as a litter box. I've tried everything to get rid of the smell and so far nothing has worked. Yesterday I tried the home remedy of 50/50 vinegar and water followed by hydrogen peroxide.

The smell still seemed to hang around so I decided to spray on some Star-san. My thorough research of cat pee told me that the odor is caused bacteria crystals as the urine decomposes. I figured since Star-san kills bacteria on contact why not give it a shot?

I sprayed down the carpet before going to bed last night and when I woke up this morning the smell seemed to be gone? I can't say for sure whether it was the home remedy I tried or the Star-san, but if any of you are battling cat urine issues you may want to give Star-san a shot.

Star San in the shoes helped but did not solve the stinky shoes my son had. It does work great for sanitizing everything in the kitchen as well as while camping.

Soaking sponges really helps the sponge smell... temporarily.

Star San in the shoes helped but did not solve the stinky shoes my son had. It does work great for sanitizing everything in the kitchen as well as while camping.

Soaking sponges really helps the sponge smell... temporarily.

A damp sponge in the microwave is suppose to kill the nasty germs in the sponge as well the damp towel used in the restaurants is the worse there is in spreading masty germs wiping your table down. Yuck!

Back