would love some recipe ideas on brewing with wyeast 1968

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
I just started a british bitter (3.5%) with wyeast 1968 and I want to have something to toss on the yeast cake. I really want to try adding bourbon and oak flavor to something (I keg, so probably not a stout). The first thought that came to mind was Caribou Slobber with 1 oz of med toast oak cubes and 10 oz Maker's Mark (I brew 3 gallons).

+1's, critiques, and other ideas are all welcome!

Since you're using the Fuller's yeast, you might consider a high-gravity ESB variant, like the Fuller's 1845: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/71/560/

That could certainly be oaked. I would not add bourbon to it, but oak alone would produce a nice set of flavors, sort of in the direction of an old ale. And it wouldn't take way too long to develop an oak flavor--about a month would do.

I'd look in general to higher-gravity, but not insane gravity, English and Scottish beers. They tend to mix well with oak, and that's a good yeast for many English styles (and acceptable for Scottish if you keep it cool with a large pitch, which is easy since you have your bitter as a starter).

Back