Would like to try an old recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there, I've found an old recipe in a book from my father-in-law, and I'm just wondering what you guys thought of it. It's from "The Art Of Making Beer," By Raymond Hull. I tried searching to see if anybody has done anything like this, but failed to find anything close.

Honey Beer

5lb Honey
2 1/2 lb corn sugar
1 1/4 oz root ginger
1 1/4 oz Kent hops
5 Canadian or 6 US gallons of water
2 tsp acid blend
Pure ale yeast starter

1. Make the yeast starter three days in advance
2. Boil the ginger, hops, sugar and honey in 2 1/2 gallons of water for half an hour, stirring occasionally to ensure thorough mixing.
3. In the primary fermentor place the rest of the cold water, and stir in the acid blend. Then add the 2 1/2 gallons of hot mixture from the boiler
4. When the wort cools to 70F, add the yeast starter and cover with plastic sheet, tied down.
5. Ferment at 55F to 65F till SG is between 1.005 and 1.010; then transfer to secondary fermentor and apply fermentation lock.
6. When fermentation is finished and beer is perfectly clear, siphon it back into the primary fermentor, taking care not to disturb the sediment
7. Add 2 cups corn sugar (no more!) and stir to dissolve
8. Bottle in beer bottles, closed with crown caps
9. Age 2 1/2 months

Those are the instructions verbatim. The one thing that strikes me is the amount of priming sugar, which seems to be a lot. Any tips or hints or warnings not to do this are all greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Interesting.
This would be incredibly light metheglin, but the flavors, I think, would be very nice.
Personally I would remove the corn sugar and do 100% honey, and I would add the honey *after* boiling the hops and the ginger, that way the delicate aromas would stick around, but the hot water would still sterilize it, assuming you can get raw honey.
As for priming... yeah, thats way too much. What i do for my sparkling meads is about 3/4 or 1 cup of honey dissolved in a pint of water per 5 gallons, I try to avoid corn sugar whenever possible.
I don't use acid blend when I make mead, and i'm not sure what it would really do for this recipe. If i thought it could use acid I would slice a lemon and boil it with the hops and the ginger.

The body of this will be very, very light, but thats not really a problem.

Give it a go!

ps: I would use a moderately dark, slightly strong flavored honey with a lot of aroma due to the small amount called for.

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't get raw honey, but was able to get some fairly dark honey from the local beekeeper co-op. I think I will take your advice about skipping the corn sugar, and about the proper amount of priming sugar.

Thanks for the suggestions!

No problem. Even though you couldn't get raw honey, I still recommend not boiling it to keep the aromas intact.
Be sure to post how this works out!

my 2c.. very dry, big ginger punch I would go (and I think I might do this )
5gal batch
honey to 8lbs not boiled added at flame out
Corn sugar to 1lb
1.5oz Kent G or Willamette, maybe Mt Hood
ginger to 1oz if using fresh grated
test PH before acid blend if ok(4ish) not now
d-47 yeast
go-ferm and stepped nutrients maybe some strong tea 1/2c

Light Ginger Mead with out the freckles OG 1.065

Thanks for you guys advice. I'm stuck with Kent hops, as what I bought and there is none anywhere close. I'm mad at myself because I threw out a whole bunch of pH test strips a couple months ago because I never thought I'd use them again. So I guess I'll have to go buy some more.

I'm looking at doing this on the 16th, but if I get some time this weekend I may give it a try. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Back