Would like to brew a steam beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maherj1

Reaction score
So just had my first introduction to home brewing with a wheat beer kit.

For my next brew I would like to try a steam beer such as Brupaks beers of the world san francisco steam beer.

My question is would steam beer be a tricky one to get right?

I know lagers can be very difficult and as Im still learning I would like something that is easy enough to get right.

Also has anybody actually tried that specific kit? good reviews/bad reviews?

Thanks fellas.

I'm not familiar with their kits. I don't know that there's anything inherently difficult with a steam beer. A true California lager type yeast is sort of a hybrid yeast. I tend to ferment it at around 62F.

I'm not familiar with the kit either. But I bottled my first steam beer on Saturday. It wasn't difficult to brew. You are basically brewing an ale, just using lager yeast and fermenting at a higher temp. If you have a way to control your temps, I say go for it!

I'm new to brewing and this forum, so I'm probably not your best source of information. Anyways I just started a steam beer as my first brew. My local brew shop provided me with and ingredient kit and instructions for the California Steam style beer. Regarding fermenting temperature the instructions say "Place the fermenter in a relatively warm place (65-73 degrees)," so you don't need lager temperatures. Everything else seems pretty standard, and as far as I know I haven't messed anything up yet. I say go for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_beer
Read the part about the Brewing Process, there seems to be some good information there.

Hopefully both of our Steam Beers come out great.

Good luck.

I think the fermentation temp should be closer to 60ish, like shooter said. A range of 65-73F, seems WAY too large a range, and also WAY high. If you have the ability to do 60-62F (even a crude water bath in a big tub or garbage pail with an occasional ice addition) it's in the realm of possibility to meet the style.

It seems temp control is a big issue then.

Basically I keep my beer in my wardrobe and its usually around 64. Its pretty cold where I am so hard to get it higher (also my cupboard is probably the most consistent place in the house temp wise...anywhere else would likely have big variations).

As its only my second brew dont really want to go into the hassle of temp control. How do people think a steam beer would do at 64?

Failing that I was also looking at brewing a bock or a tripel. Would these styles do better at that temp?

It seems temp control is a big issue then.

One of the most important variables in brewing.

Basically I keep my beer in my wardrobe and its usually around 64. Its pretty cold where I am so hard to get it higher (also my cupboard is probably the most consistent place in the house temp wise...anywhere else would likely have big variations).

Consistency in temp is also an extremely important variable. But also you should realize that the air temp is not the temp of the fermentation; fermentation temp can get significantly higher when the yeast are producing a lot of heat, possibly up to 8 degrees F higher. A water bath (even the tub which I sometimes use) can really help a lot.

Failing that I was also looking at brewing a bock or a tripel. Would these styles do better at that temp?

Many or most ales would be perfectly suited to an ambient air temp of 64F. You could easily get to the low 60s with a water bath though. Just requires some attention a couple times a day on your part and either a large bucket/garbage pail or your bathtub. BTW a bock is actually a lager though.

I also chose this as my second brew (Anchor Steam is on of my favorites). If you read the fermentation section from the wikki link provided above. It states the same as the instruction from the Brewers Best kit I brewed 2 years ago. Lager yeast @ Ale temps.

If you have an area that is a "constant" 64 degrees F ambient it should work rather well. You should have a 4-8 degree higher temp of your fermenting beer due to the yeast performing their magic. That should but you @ 68-72 degrees. If your temp starts to get a bit to high you can use a wet dish towel or tee shirt draped over the fermented. The evaporation of the water will drop the temp a few degrees. Depending on the relative humidity you will have to add additional water to the towel/tee shirt 2-3 times daily. Good luck.

Cheers... Mick

Back