Would it still be good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
I haven't had the time to brew for the last 6 months or so and I have some grain stored my fermentation fridge at about 68 degree. Would the grain still be good for brewing? They have been stored in closed plastic bags.

Thanks

Is the grain crushed or uncrushed? Crushed, I'd say no way. But uncrushed, sure. Taste them and see how they are. If they taste "stale" or funny, then they wouldn't be good for brewing. If they taste like grain, you'd be fine to brew with them.

How long do you think that crushed grain will actually last? I guess I never thought about not brewing after I had the grain crushed but you never know what might come up. Good luck with the batch!

I'm curious about this too... I have a couple of big bags of crushed grains. I'm planning to brew them up in the next few months -- am I okay? Should I keep them in the fridge?

Well, it really depends. I've had crushed grain in a sealed plastic bag in the basement last for quite a while. I can't remember how long, but long enough that I was suprised that it was still good. Maybe 4 months or so? But these were grains kept cool and dry and sealed with a food saver type seal. I had planned to use them much sooner, but got busy with life.

From bensyverson's BYO link:
I would not recommend storing malt in the freezer, mainly because it is not necessary. The other problem with freezers is their amazing ability to make things taste like they were stored in a freezer!
This is not a real clear answer about freezers. The freezer section of my basement refrigerator has nothing but hops and grains, and the refrigerator is full of beer, so I'm not sure if food smell would be a problem. Anyone have experience or opinion on freezing grain?

The grains have been crushed but are sealed with a food saver and stored at approx 68 degrees.

I will check them when I get home..

Back