Worth brewing a sour ale, if I'm moving in 4 months?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleslattery

Reaction score
So, I've recently really gotten into sour beers, and I'd like to brew a couple, however, I'm almost certainly going to be moving in 4 months, so they'd have to be disturbed before they've been properly aged.

From reading around, it seems like I'd definitely be able to move them without worrying about oxidation if I transfer them to kegs, but it seems like this would be changing the beer quite a bit, since it would be leaving the pellicle behind.

It seems to me I should just go for it, but is there anything I can do now to try and limit disturbing the beer? Maybe I could just ferment in a keg to begin with?

take the airlock out, push the bung in hard, and stick a sanitized pen cap in the hole.

then move.

I just turned a Bam Biere clone attempt in 11 weeks. I'm not sure it's a clone, but its a nice sour. You might just want to wait for your long term aging beers like traditional lambics and reds to ease your impending move. Things like a saison with Brett and a session wild ale might be able to be finished before your move.

Hm, that's true—I had been planning on doing a Flanders red, but maybe it's a better idea to try something that would be finished a little quicker. Do you have the recipe for that clone?

Im assuming you want to bring the carboy with you in your car
Why not remove the airlock and use a latex glove or tape? It will eliminate suckback and keep air out.

janivar123 said:
Im assuming you want to bring the carboy with you in your car
Why not remove the airlock and use a latex glove or tape? It will eliminate suckback and keep air out.

Right. And I know it's possible, because there are a bunch of threads about it, but I was thinking that since I haven't actually brewed the beer yet, there might be something I could do now to make sure transportation disturbs the beer as little as possible.

It'll likely only be about a 90 min drive away, so keeping it in a carboy might be an option.

I think he meant 'carry' as in down the street. 90 min would be pusing it for me, I think, unless I made some sort of sweet shoulder & hip harness system to distribute the weight, and had a camelback full of liquid refreshment to keep me going...

But you gotta do what you gotta do!

I think he meant 'carry' as in down the street. 90 min would be pusing it for me, I think, unless I made some sort of sweet shoulder & hip harness system to distribute the weight, and had a camelback full of liquid refreshment to keep me going...

But you gotta do what you gotta do!

HAHAHAHA! If I saw someone walking down the street with full carboy strapped to their back....

hmmmm:confused: that is a hard sentence to finish...

Oh and I guess a ninety minute drive would be a couple of days on foot. Hmm, sounds like a party. Carboy relay, anyone?

I see a carboy attached to your front like a baby carrier, and a wagon in tow pulling a garbage can with ice and a corny to keep you 'hydrated'. We could make a movie...

"One man's epic journey across Pennsylvania... With only his two friends, a glass jug full of homebrew, and a passion for good beer, kyleslattery makes the hard journey to keep his sour safe. He faces angry drivers, inclement weather, and jeering onlookers at every turn, and the challenge of not spilling a single drop is almost too much to bear. He realizes just how important his brewbuddies are as they help shoulder his burden, in this heart-warming tale of an ordinary man, and his extraordinary love of beer."

Wow, must be a boring day at work or something... :mug:

Wow, this thread has taken a strange turn :). I kinda like the idea of a carboy relay. It's for a good cause, right? Don't disturb the pellicle!

Back