Wort vs. SS hose clamps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparticusbrewer22

Reaction score
Long story short, I found two 15' copper refrigerator lines in my parents house and took to making my very own wort chiller. Since it was 1/4" tubing, I made two separate chillers and connected them [like the "rib cage" style I'd seen before] with a couple of SS adjustable clamps. My question is whether or not there is anything about the clamps that makes them unable to contact the wort. I don't know if there is/are any lubricants or anything in the "gear box" of the adjustment screw that I should be concerned with ingesting. Anybody out there that could help elaborate on the subject? Thanks in advance guys!

I dont think there should be a problem.If you are concerned about it just use
copper wire to make it more stable.I use a 60 foot ribcage IC that I use stiff
copper wire on to stiffen it up a bit-works really well.

Cheers

Nothing wrong with putting a stainless clamp in wort as long as it is stainless.

There are many different kinds of stainless clamps though and not all are completely stainless. Some just have a stainless strap and the rest is galvanized and brass. Some have a stainless strap, screw holder and the screw is some other metal.

Just make sure if it is going in the brew it is all stainless.

Solid idea stikks, I hadn't even considered that option. I'll see what I can find as far as scrap goes that's lying around.

And I haven't the slightest clue about if the whole thing is SS or not. I didn't think they could display it as that if the whole thing wasn't stainless. But then again, Meijer and the like sell "SS" pots that are actually aluminum bottoms... I guess you could say I committed willful ignorance on that one. Good looks everybody :mug:

Latest posts

Back