Wort transfer to fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwaybrewz

Reaction score
I recently started a Belgian White Ale. The recipe included orange peel, cracked corriander and 1 oz of hops, along with the steeping grains and extract. When I transferred the wort to the fermenter, there was a great deal of fine particles in the wort. Shortly after I pitched the yeast, the fine particles had settled to the bottom of the fermenter. Is this normal, or should I have allowed this to settle in the cooled wort kettle and should I have tried to minimize transferring that stuff? I think it is hop particles and corriander particles.

As everyone posted, no problem at all.

That being said, I'm not set up to whirlpool effectively, so I transfer my wort by pouring it through an 8 inch double mesh strainer nested inside an 8 inch funnel that sits in the neck of my carboy. I have to stop and dump out the strainer a few times by the time I've transfered all the beer.

My reasons for this are:

There are less particles in the beer during active fermentation, which makes carboy cleanup easier.

Less chance of any vegetal flavors in the finished beer from hop particles, especially in beers with a large hop bill

It looks better to me.

Its easy enough to do

Pez.

Back