Wort today. Pitching tomorrow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made my wort today. And I didn't follow the standard cooling procedures. It's been awhile and it's still reading 125. And it's been there from a bit. Would it be okay if I let it sit tonight and pitched the yeast tomorrow? Or is that a bad practice?

- Josh

Depends on your sanitation/situation, if its just sitting on the stove open to the air you're asking for an infection

But if I just throw the lid on it and let it be. It should be fine? Also, my girlfriend added in a little tap water that wasn't boiled. What do you think?

If you're fermenting in a 5 gallon bucket then put the lid on tight and the airlock in and get it cooled down as quickly as you can, if that's not till tomorrow at least the lid is on and it will be protected from airborne infections.

Like everyone is saying - if your sanitation was good and you get it sealed up for the night, there should be zero problem pitching tomorrow.

The water from the tap is not ideal, but probably fine.

Do you have it in the sink with cold water? I have found that stirring the wort a lot during cooling helps the most. I'm able to cool it within 20-25 minutes without a wort chiller. Just curious what your cooling procedure is that you're stuck at 125?

Cover and don't touch till tomorrow. When cool, aerate and pitch as usual. You will see this referred to as "no chill" on this board. I do this regularly and never had a problem. You are fine as long as you just leave it alone till ready to transfer

Back