Wort storage and stability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unibrew

Reaction score
Lately I have found it difficult to find enough time to brew in one day. I have a thought to separate the brew day into three.
Day 1: Clean and grind grain.
Day 2: Mash.
Day 3: Boil and pitch.

My question is in regards to Day 2, does anyone have any experience in Wort storage and stability? I am assuming if I sparge I can set the enzymes. Nuisance microbes seem to be a concern. What happens after a day? A week?

If you could shorten your brew day to 4 hours would that work for you? How about 3 hours?

When your mash is done you have this wonderfully sweet mixture full of wild yeast and bacteria and mold spores. Things are going to start to grow quickly. In one day? Maybe not bad. Two days? I wouldn't want to brew that stuff. A week? Phew!!

The no chill guys get by with storing because they boil everything and put it into a sanitized container which is pliable enough that they can expel all the air. I has to be boiled or it will spoil.

RM-MN
Spoilage is my biggest concern. I do not think the mash and boil can be separated but is exactly why I wondered if people have tried. I like "boil or spoil". I was looking for 1-2 hour possibilities but I can find 3-4hrs here and there. Thanks for your feedback.

RM-MN
Spoilage is my biggest concern. I do not think the mash and boil can be separated but is exactly why I wondered if people have tried. I like "boil or spoil". I was looking for 1-2 hour possibilities but I can find 3-4hrs here and there. Thanks for your feedback.

I experimented with one batch so far and I won't say it will always work. It could become a mess instead of beer but I did this as a BIAB batch. With that fine grind of the grain that I am able to use I think I get nearly complete conversion in 15 minutes but I waited for 30, then proceded to boil. Normally you would boil for an hour to drive off DMS precursors and get your hop bittering. I boiled only 45 minutes and then dumped the boiling wort into a plastic bucket fermenter and put the sanitized lid on. The next day when it was cool enough I opened the top and dumped in dry yeast, no aeration. The beer seems to have come out fine from that, no canned corn taste that I can notice and the hop bittering seems right for that beer.

To cut down the time then, I fill my pot with water and while it heats to strike temp I am busy grinding the grains. Put the bag in the pot, stir in the grains and wait for conversion. Pull the bag and while it is draining turn the heat on the pot so it is heating while you are getting the rest of the wort squeezed out of the bag of grains. Boil for 45 with the hops in, dump into fermenter and clean up.

I'll be experimenting with this some more soon since I've been told it won't work.

Latest posts

Back