Wort question (full or partial boil)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danimal615

Reaction score
Is it better to start off with less water and add at the end or start off with a full boil? My pot is 7.5 gallons so it can handle the full boil and i have a wart chiller to drop temps quickly. What is best, the instructions on this kit are pretty bad.

Full boil volume is a better practice and you get better hop utilization.

I agree but you don't have to have a full boil that you will get a boil over especially if you are using a kit with dried malt extract. If your brew pot is close to full and you need to add dme then do it in small amounts and keep stirring.

how large is your kettle/pot?..

How good are you at temperature control? Some people have a hard rolling boil and boil off lots of water so they need to have a larger quantity to start. Some of us control the temperature and get a much smaller boil off. If you can start with the full amount and avoid adding water at the end you should do so. Just don't boil the pot over, it makes a sticky mess that is hard to clean up.

Back