wort oxygenation and dissolved oxygen - how critical is timing?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Sidman

Reaction score
I have been trying to use my blichman quick carb to do double duty as an inline O2. First attempt worked pretty good but I ran out of O2. Think I went a little heavy on the flow rate for my 10 gal batch. My question is how long does the oxygen stay dissolved? In this example I oxygenated on the way to my conical. Once at the conical I like to let it rest for 10 to 20 minutes to then dump out the trub at the bottom. Am I losing DO in the meantime? and if so it is at a high enough rate that I should wait until I dump the trub to oxygenate?

day_trippr

Covid-19 Vaccine Effectivity Test Subject
Reaction score
Given enough time, wort exposed to the air will eventually equalize at around 8ppm, so highly oxygenated wort is going to lose O2.
I have no idea what the rate of loss might be...

Cheers!

OP
Sidman

Sidman

Reaction score
In my search for answers on this I found this thread where a fellow brewer had purchased a DO meter and did several tests.https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=318420
For my purposes the big takeaway was that the measured sample was approximately the same an hour after initial oxygenation. FYI for anyone searching for the same info. I also noticed that BYO has an article all about meters and DO levels in this months issue.