Wort is at 80F...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblaven

Reaction score
My directions say to add yeast at 74F. I cooled it down to around 85F pretty quick... but I'm out of ice! :eek:

Do I wait till it drops to room temp, or do I add the yeast now? :confused:

Cycle some cold water through your sink, but if you aerate well when pouring into your fermenter you can probably pitch if you get the wort below 80.

Keep adding cold water to your ice bath. It will drop. Get it down to at least 80 if not lower. You prolly won't kill your east otherwise, but it's not worth the risk. (for what my opinion's worth...)

I've pitched at around what I am guessing is 90 degrees. I ran out of ice and time. It was 2am and I needed to get to bed. Ha. It was underpitched (newbie error) and I figured it would be fine with a belgian strain. And everything turned out fine! The beer had a great flavor profile form the Wit yeast strain, but the beer was a little bitter. It might fade with time. I think Midwest has too much hops for their Belgian Wit extract recipe kit though. I feel like 25 IBU's is a bit much for a Belgian Wit.

But don't worry about it! And grab an extra big bag next brew day!

It's worth collecting a few 2L bottles and freezing them into ice blocks in your freezer too. Anyway, if you're brewing with a kit and using dry yeast, a lot of them, 05 in particular, can handle pretty significant temperature swings without off flavors.

Back