Wort in Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregA

Reaction score
I think I'm OK but need some advice. I just started a batch of milk stout. All was well (for two days). I just went to check on the brew and there is wort in my airlock. I read on some other posts to just swap out the airlock or extend it with a tube into a bucket of water. Won't that introduce air into the system (i.e. bacteria)

HELP! What should I do?

Cheers,
Greg

Attachments

• PXL_20211227_161610874.mp4
    6.5 MB
Put a clean one on it or clean that one out and re-install it.

I'd slosh the beer in the fermenter around first to get all that crud off the sides of the head space. But some might not come off at all depending on how long it's been there.

I prefer to use large diameter blow off tubes instead of airlocks. Especially for the first few days when it might foam up and blow all that crap out. However with the 7/8ths inch ID tubes I use now, I've never had another blow out since.

Since the beer is fermenting and producing CO2 then worry about O2 will be minimal. Especially since this isn't a hoppy NEIPA.

You keep that thing out of the light don't you?

Thanks. I do have an extra.

It's out of the light (no windows), in the basement. The only light is when I go down there to check it or do some laundry.

Things that can impact blow-off:

1. Inadequate head space: If the there isn't room for krausen formation between the beer and the top of the fermentor, it will come out of the airlock.
2. Fermentation is too vigorous: Very high gravity beers or too high of a fermentation temperature will create excessive krausen/foaming.

I usually use a blow-off tube during active fermentation (first 3-4 days) because they are less maintenance (usually don't need to be refilled or cleaned), then switch to a three-piece airlock.

I wouldn't recommend agitating the fermentation vessel, there's no reason to mobilize the krausen. It will just fall back down and dissolve or turn into sediment. No need to skim it off either. Agitation will just increase blow-off. Also, given how vigorous the fermentation is, oxygen is being actively purged so swapping out the airlock or switching to a tube is not a risky move.

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. Airlock swapped with a new clean one. BTW, how much head space is too much head space? Any rule of thumb? This is only my second brew.

For any five gallon batch you want a 6.5 gallon fermenter, at least. Some yeasts need more headspace than others. 30% headspace is a solid number I run with.

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. Airlock swapped with a new clean one. BTW, how much head space is too much head space? Any rule of thumb? This is only my second brew.

I don't know how much is too much. I make 2 1/2 gallon batches in a 6 1/2 gallon fermenter. That isn't too much. Sierra Nevada seems to be fine with a bit more than that.

I don't know how much is too much. I make 2 1/2 gallon batches in a 6 1/2 gallon fermenter. That isn't too much. Sierra Nevada seems to be fine with a bit more than that.

About the same risk of infection as a volcano.

Back