Wort flowing into pump, foam coming out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valicious

Reaction score
I have it setup BK -> tubing -> pump -> tubing -> CFC -> tubing -> fermenter

I started with 6.5 gallons of wort in my brewpot, now it's looking like I'll get just about 3 gallons in my fermenter. Where the hell is it all going?

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

If you had 6.5 gals in the BK and after pumping into the fermenter only 3gals, I would take a real close and hard look at your CFC.

If you had 6.5 gals in the BK and after pumping into the fermenter only 3gals, I would take a real close and hard look at your CFC.

The foam started at the pump. I would literally watch wort going into the pump, and foam going out.

Do you have thread tape on all your connections, hose clamps are tight, etc.? Did you actually lose 3+ gals of wort?

Edit: If you actually lost wort, maybe the CFC has a leak and the water pressure is causing the pump to cavitate?

Do you have thread tape on all your connections, hose clamps are tight, etc.? Did you actually lose 3+ gals of wort?

Edit: If you actually lost wort, maybe the CFC has a leak and the water pressure is causing the pump to cavitate?

tape is on all connections , hose clamps are tight.

Do you mean that air bubbles would be getting to the pump? How would I test that?
I'm almost inclined to say that the pump is the problem because the wort turns to foam the second it goes into the pump.

+1 on checking CFC.

Is the discharge water cooling water from the CFC clear in color? I would say you are getting air in the system somewhere and if you are losing that much wort then it has to be going out with the CFC discharge.

+1 on checking CFC.

Is the discharge water cooling water from the CFC clear in color? I would say you are getting air in the system somewhere and if you are losing that much wort then it has to be going out with the CFC discharge.

By the time it gets to the CFC it's no longer wort, it's foam.

its the pump i think looks like i have same pump. to much pressure stirs the wort into a frothy mess if you can turn down your pump i think it would help also depending on what pump you can change the paddle on it to push less through.

It looks like your grain bag may be partially blocking the kettle oultlet port. This could cause the pump to cavitate and might cause foaming problems. Be sure to keep the kettle outlet port completely clear and free flowing.

BK
short hose
CFC (lower than BK)
Pump
hose
fermenter

edit - wort loss = leak in CFC, can't really be anything else.

I'm not sure if I am seeing things correctly from your picture.

To me, it looks like you are running 1/2" tubing from the pump to your CFC. It doesn't look like there is any reducer. Is the CFC made from 1/2" OD copper?

It also looks like 1/2" tubing going to your fermenter. If this is so, you may not have enough restriction in your line. This is what could be causing all the foam once the pump impeller starts stirring things up. Try adding a valve as close to your fermenter as possible. Slowly close the valve and see if the back pressure on the pump will reduce the foaming.

It also appears to me that you are adding cold water from your faucet at the same side of the chiller as you are inputting the wort. The design of the chiller is to be a COUNTER FLOW chiller. The cold water should be plumbed to enter the discharge side of the wort. You want the coldest water to come in where the beer comes out. You want the discharge of the cold water input to come out where the hot beer comes in.

In other words, reverse your water connections.

I'm not sure if I am seeing things correctly from your picture.

To me, it looks like you are running 1/2" tubing from the pump to your CFC. It doesn't look like there is any reducer. Is the CFC made from 1/2" OD copper?

It also looks like 1/2" tubing going to your fermenter. If this is so, you may not have enough restriction in your line. This is what could be causing all the foam once the pump impeller starts stirring things up. Try adding a valve as close to your fermenter as possible. Slowly close the valve and see if the back pressure on the pump will reduce the foaming.

It also appears to me that you are adding cold water from your faucet at the same side of the chiller as you are inputting the wort. The design of the chiller is to be a COUNTER FLOW chiller. The cold water should be plumbed to enter the discharge side of the wort. You want the coldest water to come in where the beer comes out. You want the discharge of the cold water input to come out where the hot beer comes in.

In other words, reverse your water connections.

I saw that CFC backwards connection and I chastised my roommate (who helps me set it all up)

The ends of the CFC are just straight 1/4" metal tubes, no barbs. I have a bunch of 1/4" tubing I'm about to buy from Mcmaster, so I'll try and get some reducers too.

Thanks

You shouldn't need to aerate!:D

I would throttle that pump WAY back, in the pic it's wide open.

Might wanna try placing you pump on the ground and not that shelf to give it a bit more head to help reduce the cavitating

What kind of beer did you brew? From the looks of the the line going into the fermenter it is just about the color of water..................Its your chiller. If there isn't any leaks or puddles on the floor............then your beer is going down the drain with the waste water, your problem is your chiller.

Back