Wort Container to Measure OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball

Reaction score
When ever I try to measure the OG or my wort before pitching the yeast I almost always have difficulty finding a container to put the wort while I measure the OG that is tall enough yet skinny enough so that I don't waste too much. The tube that my hydrometer came with is tall enough but is so narrow that I don't trust that the hydrometer isn't in contact with that walls.

I use a 6 gallon carboy, so does anyone have any good suggestions for a container (beaker or test tube?) to pour some of the wort in for OG measurements or a method of measuring the OG in the carboy?

Thanks!

Just keep stirring/spinning your hydrometer in the tube it came it. Eventually it won't stick to the sides. It seems like a waste to buy something else...

I didn't even think of it. For a OG reading refractometers are great. I just got one for christmas and love it. Little pricy but worthwhile if your giftgivers have deep pockets. They are between 30$ -130$ depending on where you get it from. Look on ebay.

Back