Wort chilling using CF-5 cooling coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonehenge360

Reaction score
I am trying to simplify my brew day where possible while still maximizing quality.

i am considering taking the wort directly from the boil into a CF-5 and using the cooling coil for chilling

theoretical benefits:

1. simplifying brew day while still chilling effectively

2. 200F wort should do a nice final pasteurization of the conical...sanitization could never be a bad thing

has anyone tried this before? Am I missing a downside to skipping the standard chiller coil?

I see it taking a very long time. Without anything to move the wort, it will be similar to a less efficient immersion chiller with no stirring. You’d need to get it below at least 100 before switching to glycol or the return temp will be too high for the chiller to keep up with, potentially damaging it.

The amount of water used will be very high.

With such a small coil it will take forever. Even trying to drop the temp by 20 or degrees with the glycol will keep that compressor running much longer than it should be.

Back