Wort Chilling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bordy

Reaction score
I have acquired a stainless coil, I’m guessing 110’ that I planned on using as a wort chiller. Would I be better off using it as an immersion chiller or running my wort through the coil itself in a cooler with ice/water like a jockey box?

I think an immersion chiller would be much easier to clean and sanitize. Also you wouldn't need a sanitary pump if you're hooking it up to a faucet.

What's the prospective batch size, the tubing diameter and coil diameter? And is the intent to use the whole coil?
I'd go with an IC, but it'd take at least a 30 gallon kettle to fit 110' of 1/2" tubing if that's the size, pretty much regardless of coil diameter.
Maybe sell half of it?

Cheers!

I'd go with an IC, but it'd take at least a 30 gallon kettle to fit 110' of 1/2" tubing if that's the size, pretty much regardless of coil diameter.

True dat! I use a 50' SS coil of 1/2" SS tubing with my 30 gallon kettle and its plenty big. Any bigger in height and it would tend to be taller than the wort volume and then I'd be concerned about condensate.

I would use it as an immersion chiller. It is going to be effective enough and cleaning and sanitation is the most exhausting part of a brewing day already. I try to keep it as simple as I can.

Thanks for the advice, immersion chilling is what I’m used to. As for the size, it’s not as big as it sounds, but I’m not sure about the displacement. I’ll have to check before I actually use it. Thanks again.

Back