Wort Chillers and Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Hey guys my buddy and I finally got our copper wort chiller done and cannot wait to use it...in your opinions is there a specific way to clean or sanitize this before using. My buddy thought he heard something that involved vinegar? Thanks.

There are a few ways I have found on this site that people sanitize their copper IC before use. One way is to have it sit in a bucket of star-san (no rinse sanitizer) prior to use. I have also heard people drop it in the boiling wort for the last 15 minutes of the boil. I have used both methods and have not had a it bother my wort/beer product in any way. Placing in the wort is a bit of a bother if you use one of those DIY hop spiders. I prefer keeping a 5 gallon bucket of sanitizer handy and using that.

If you are talking about one that was just made, put it in boiling water for a while. I guarantee you'll see a lot of stuff floating in the water afterward. I do that and wash it with a mild soap and a sponge or dish rag. Don't use anything abrasive. After that on brewing day rinse it off and put in the boiling wort 10-15min before the end of the boil and just rinse it and wipe off anything you see after each use.
I've made two immersion chillers. One for my self and one for a friend. Used mine twice now and haven't had any problems.

The vinegar soak thing is just a way to get potential manufacturing grime off. Star san would do the same thing. If you rinse off the chiller after use, you really just need to drop it into your boiling wort to sanitize. I don't boil it for 15 minutes though, I just throw it in at flameout.

Here's an article in Brew Your Own that I saw on another thread recently. Certainly the whole article is worth reading but at the very least scroll down to the part where it talks about copper.

We ended up using the boil method and the sanitizer method...the dropping it in at flame out so I am sure we are definitely okay...thank you guys for all your input!

Star san is good for cleaning your copper chiller too. Let it sit for a while and when you pull it out it will be nice and shiney.

Back