wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
I just made my own wort chiller out of 3/8'' copper tubing. I went the cheap route and bought only 20 feet. The home depot had pre-sized lengths in a spool. I made it for less than 20 bucks. I do partial boils so I only need to cool at most 3 gallons at a time. My question is.... I cleaned it by soaking it in white vinager/ water solution for 30 min then soaked it in PBW for another 30 min. Will that be clean enough before I use it for the first time? Do not want to contaminate anything with any oils or anything like that. Thanks for any advise.

I just made my own wort chiller out of 3/8'' copper tubing. I went the cheap route and bought only 20 feet. The home depot had pre-sized lengths in a spool. I made it for less than 20 bucks. I do partial boils so I only need to cool at most 3 gallons at a time. My question is.... I cleaned it by soaking it in white vinager/ water solution for 30 min then soaked it in PBW for another 30 min. Will that be clean enough before I use it for the first time? Do not want to contaminate anything with any oils or anything like that. Thanks for any advise.

I would just toss into a pot and boil it for 10 minutes to get everything off it then you are good to go

I did boil it for 15 minutes before I did the wash. And the wash with the vinegar was done around120 degrees and the pbw wash at 150-160 degrees. Thanks for the input. makes me feel better.

Back