Wort Chiller Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
What do you guys use for the clear tubing to connect the copper tubing to the faucet? Does anyone use vinyl? It looks like it is only rated to 175°F

The hot side shouldn't have much pressure behind it. You just have to make sure it doesn't kink under its own weight when it gets hot and flexible. Although for whatever reason my hot side still drips a little with 15' of tube to create a little backpressure.

Another option is the tubing with the braid in it. The ends of my chiller curve so they are nearly pointed straight down which eliminates the kinking risk.

Although if you are talking a counter flow chiller then my advice wouldn't apply...

When I used my Immersion chiller, it came with clear vinyl tubing. The "inlet" one has a garden hose adapter at the end of it and nothing out the "outlet" side. I don't recall ever having an issue with it regarding heat, in fact the outlet side of the vinyl tube wasn't even clamp onto the coil, it was just wedged on and never had a problem. The tubing was clamped to the coil on the inlet side though.

If you need to purchase tubing, co for the vinyl braided one one because it will last longer IMHO. If it came with Clear vinyl tubing, just use that.

I needed to extend my "out" side tubing many more feet since the tubing has to run from my backyard outside where I boil down into the basement sink (to drain) via the basement window. So I went with something like 20 feet of the silicone high temp tubing on Northern Brewer, been working great for years now.

Rev.

What do you guys use for the clear tubing to connect the copper tubing to the faucet? Does anyone use vinyl? It looks like it is only rated to 175°F

That's likely the burst rating temperature - so there's a pressure component involved.

I usually run a PC but on those days I use the IC it has the same clear vinyl tubing it's had on it for years...

Cheers!

I just bought 5/8 OD x 1/2 ID today from lowes. It fits Exact on 1/2 copper and really doesnt even need a hose clap. .45 cents a foot. The water inside the copper isn't as hot as the wort and is dropping instantly, not going to be burning a hole through it.If I stick the tube in boiling water will it disintegrate,no.Theres no pressure on the line.So Im assuming it will be fine. Might get a little limp,but that's nothing I haven't dealt with before LOL

Thanks for the help. I built my IC today. I think it turned out pretty well. I used the vinyl tubing from Lowes as well. I will use it for my next batch on Friday. Wish me luck!

Back